Alicorns are pony characters in My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, My Little Pony: Pony Life, and other material, who have both a unicorn horn and Pegasus wings and, depending on the depiction, also have Earth pony power. They are styled as royalty. They are referred to as Princess Ponies in Hasbro's toy line, as Pegasus Unicorns in Little Brown's book Mini Pony Collector's Guide, and, once, as Pegasus unicorns on Hasbro's My Little Pony Facebook page. Meghan McCarthy, Friendship is Magic's head writer, says that the title of "princess" is one that is earned in Equestria.
The third season episode Magic Duel marks the first use of the term "Alicorn" in the series, and in Magical Mystery Cure the term is used for the first time to directly refer to winged unicorns, previously referred to as unicorns in earlier seasons' episodes Friendship is Magic, part 1 and A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1.
- 1 The regal sisters
- 2 Princess Cadance
- 3 Twilight Sparkle
- 4 Queen Chrysalis
- 5 Flurry Heart
- 6 Cozy Glow
- 7 Other winged unicorns
- 8 The Alicorn Amulet
- 9 Other examples
- 10 Galleries
- 11 See also
- 12 Notes
- 13 References
The regal sisters
Princess Celestia and her younger sister Princess Luna are introduced in the first episode in a series of medieval-like drawings with a narration that says there were "two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land," and that "the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought out the moon to begin the night." Lauren Faust commented that Princess Celestia was originally supposed to be Queen Celestia, the highest authority with no parents who outrank her. Her status was later changed to "princess" at Hasbro's request. Faust has stated that Celestia embodies the traits of all three pony kinds: Earth, Pegasus, and unicorn. In Enterplay's trading card series, Series 1 lists the sisters' pony type as both Pegasus and unicorn but not Earth, and Series 2 lists their pony type as all three and also refers to them as "immortal alicorns"; a writer and consultant for both series has stated that the inclusion of Earth was "an intentional improvement" they made on Series 2, "based on feedback and it being one of those 'could be canon' sorts of things that just plain makes sense." Faust has suggested that there is more to Princess Celestia than has been depicted of her in the series, and that she wanted Celestia to be "mysterious and hard to understand".
The first half of the second season finale, A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1, introduces Princess Cadance. She is Twilight Sparkle's foal-sitter in Twilight's flashback, and she becomes her sister-in-law after marrying Shining Armor in A Canterlot Wedding - Part 2. Various promotional materials, including a New York Times ad, A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1's Hubworld, iTunes, and Netflix summaries, the back cover of the DVD Royal Pony Wedding, and the home page of Treehouse TV's Royal Wedding Contest site, state that she is the niece of Princess Celestia. A blurb on one of the toy sets featuring Cadance says that she and Shining Armor "lead the Crystal Empire together!" Indeed, Bright Smile proclaims her as "The Crystal Princess!" at the end of The Crystal Empire - Part 2. In Enterplay's trading card series, Series 1 lists her pony type as both Pegasus and unicorn but not Earth, and Series 2 lists her pony type as all three; a writer and consultant for both series has stated that the inclusion of Earth was "an intentional improvement" they made on Series 2, "based on feedback and it being one of those 'could be canon' sorts of things that just plain makes sense."
Twilight Sparkle is introduced in Friendship is Magic as a unicorn, and she even calls herself a "regular old unicorn" in A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1, to which Princess Cadance replies "You are anything but a regular old unicorn." According to Meghan, "princess [in Equestria] is a designation that’s earned, not freely given and though princesses have specific leadership roles in pony society, being one really means 'being a good pony who shares the gifts that they have been given with others.'" Twilight becomes a princess and gains wings in the episode Magical Mystery Cure. On April 14, 2013, McCarthy was asked "As an alicorn, will Twilight be immortal and forced to outlive all of her friends?" and answered "Twilight will not outlive her friends". However, on October 12, 2019, in response to Twilight not aging in The Last Problem while her friends are, Jim Miller said, "That was never said on the show. We don't know how long everyone lives, Twilight included." He then added, "We honestly never discussed it. Her friends have been exposed to a LOT of special magic over the years, so who knows how it's affected them?"
Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell
The chapter book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell describes Twilight's new status in chapter 1, "A Crown Achievement": "Twilight had received her very own set of wings. Real Pegasus wings! She was officially a part of a special breed of pony called an Alicorn. This meant that Twilight was now able to harness the magical powers of the Unicorns, the flight abilities of the Pegasi, and the strength of a good, true heart of an Earth Pony."
Queen Chrysalis, first seen in the episode A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1 impersonating Cadance before revealing her true form in Part 2, was described in her debut episode's script as "a GANGLY BLACK PEGACORN with a gnarled black horn." This same description, "a gangly black pegacorn," is used in a comic version of the story featured in Signature Publishing's My Little Pony Annual 2013. She and the other changelings were designed by Rebecca Dart, the main character designer for season two. Rebecca was inspired by the work of manga artists Junko Mizuno and Hideshi Hino, and after reading the name "Chrysalis", she "figured [Chrysalis] should be insect-like." The changelings are referred to as a different species in Friendship is Magic and also as ponies on page 53 of the guidebook The Elements of Harmony.
Flurry Heart is an Alicorn filly born to Shining Armor and Princess Cadance in the season six premiere. Some materials title her the "first"[note 1] Alicorn baby, with Gameloft's mobile game adding the qualifier "in all of time and space", though a So Soft Newborn toy of Princess Skyla, another Alicorn, was released years beforehand, and the book The Journal of the Two Sisters and Jim Miller suggest that Celestia and Luna, as well as other Alicorns, were born as Alicorns too. In The Crystalling - Part 1, Celestia comments, "The birth of an Alicorn is something Equestria has never seen!" Her horn and wings are larger than either of those of the Cake foals and of other baby ponies featured in Friendship is Magic and in other official material(s). When Twilight and her friends see Flurry Heart for the first time, they are taken aback by her unfurled wings.
In The Ending of the End - Part 1, Pegasus filly Cozy Glow transforms into an Alicorn after absorbing the power of Grogar's Bewitching Bell. She briefly turns into a giant Alicorn with bat wings when she absorbs Discord's magic, but she quickly turns back when she is unable to control his chaos. She is reverted back into a Pegasus in Part 2 after her defeat.
Other winged unicorns
Friendship is Magic includes other Alicorns and crew members of the show have explained at least some of them as animation errors. These include "Princess Erroria" in Twilight's imagination having both wings and a horn in Lesson Zero, three royal guards in one of Twilight's flashbacks having both wings and horns in A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1, Neon Lights having wings in Rarity Takes Manehattan, Lemon Hearts having wings in Rainbow Falls, Rarity having wings in Pinkie Pride, "Princess Erroria" in Sweetie Belle's imagination again having both wings and a horn in Twilight Time, S05E01 Unnamed Pegasus Mare #4 having a horn in The Cutie Map - Part 2, Fleur de Lis having wings in Canterlot Boutique, Rose having both wings and a horn in Newbie Dash, Pumpkin Cake having wings in A Flurry of Emotions, "Rivet" and Steam Roller each having both wings and a horn in Grannies Gone Wild, "Mulberry Flowers" having wings in A Matter of Principals, Lyra Heartstrings having wings in The Washouts, and "Mulberry Flowers" again having wings in What Lies Beneath.
Pinkie Pie briefly dresses up as an Alicorn in the episode Magical Mystery Cure. In The Mysterious Mare Do Well, the masked Mare Do Well is shown to have a unicorn horn and Pegasus wings, convincing Rainbow Dash that she's an Alicorn. However, it should be noted that she is never seen with both her horn and wings at the same time.
Discord replaces his wings and antlers with giant pink wings and a giant horn to mock Twilight in Twilight's Kingdom - Part 1.
In the movie My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks, during the climactic battle between the Dazzlings and the Rainbooms, a giant spiritual Alicorn is summoned by Sunset Shimmer, Twilight Sparkle, and the human counterparts of Twilight's Ponyville friends through the magic of friendship. The Alicorn blasts the astral projections of the Dazzlings' true siren forms to dust and shatters their power sources, stripping them of their powers and leaving them to flee in shame and disgrace from the furious students and faculty.
In The Crystalling - Part 1, two female Alicorns are depicted in portrait on a Crystalling vase, bearing resemblances to Twilight Sparkle and Princess Cadance.
In Stranger Than Fan Fiction, one of seven doors in the inner sanctum of the Temple of Chicomoztoc depicts an Alicorn.
In Dragon Dropped, a sometimes-horizontally-flipped picture includes two Alicorns.
The book The Journal of the Two Sisters recounts parts of Princess Luna's and Princess Celestia's diaries. Luna tells of "the Alicorns" who taught Luna and Celestia when they were foals. Celestia tells of Star Swirl the Bearded who is familiar with Alicorns, and how Alicorns age differently than other ponies, which is why Luna and Celestia remained without cutie marks well into adulthood.
In Beyond Equestria: Rainbow Dash Rights the Ship, Rainbow Dash explains to Captain Celaeno and her crew that the Good Fortune Garnet was given to the founders of Cloudsdale by a mysterious and powerful Alicorn.
In the IDW comics, an Alicorn mare appears on page 18 of My Little Pony Micro-Series Issue #2, Sunset Shimmer sees herself as an Alicorn in the Crystal Mirror on page 3 of The Fall of Sunset Shimmer, an alternate universe Trixie is shown to be an Alicorn in a stained glass window on page 12 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #19, Star Swirl the Bearded is imagined as an Alicorn on page 20 of the same issue, Lyra Heartstrings appears as an Alicorn on page 3 of My Little Pony: Friends Forever Issue #7, Flash Sentry appears as an Alicorn on page 2 of Issue #9, Princess Glitter Punch is shown from the neck up in a picture on page 9 of My Little Pony Annual 2014, Twilight Sporkle depictions appear in The Root of the Problem, Paper Hearts' silhouette is shown in a picture on cover RI of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #36 and sewn depiction is shown from the neck down on cover RI of Issue #43, Goldcap, Decepticolt, and Zappityhoof use wings in My Little Pony: Friends Forever Issue #25, and making Alicorn eyes is mentioned on page 1 of Issue #28. Regarding the fifth of these, colorist Heather Breckel stated on July 9, 2014 "Tony drew it, I just thought it looked like her" and "I have no idea if it was intentional or not, and was in the zone when I colored it so I didn't think anything of it. I just like putting Lyras everywhere :yay:", and editor Bobby Curnow stated on July 10, 2014 "That would be a mistake!"
My Little Pony: Friends Forever Issue #32 features the legend of Queen Parabola, who is depicted as an Alicorn with zebra stripes. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #53 also features a depiction of Shadow Lock's ancestor, who has both wings and a horn but is also demonic in appearance. In Issue #57, Pinkie Pie uses the magic of Discord's realm to briefly turn herself into an Alicorn. In Issue #64, another Alicorn appears. In Issue #74, yet another Alicorn appears. In My Little Pony/Transformers Issue #3, an Alicorn with Sunset Shimmer's mane style appears.
The Glimmer Wings toys include a similarly butterfly-winged Rarity, packaged with a butterfly; according to this release's descriptions, Rarity "imagines having beautiful wings just like her butterfly friend."
An Alicorn called Princess Skyla is included in the So Soft Newborn toys. On April 1, 2013, Meghan McCarthy wrote on Twitter "Episode 404 is called “Meet Princess Skyla”." #brony #MLPFIM #MLPseason4" as part of an April Fools' Day joke. In January 2015, Jim Miller was asked "Hope Im[sic] not bothering but, will Princess Skyla ever be real? pic.twitter.com/Z5OpkGi0tu" and replied "Anything is possible! But no current plans." In November 2018, Miller was asked "Who is your favorite of the Alicorn princesses?" and answered "Skyla."
The Rainbow Power and Cutie Mark Magic Playful Ponies toys each include adult Alicorns called Princess Sterling and Princess Gold Lily, packaged respectively with Fluttershy and with Pinkie Pie. In mid-May 2014, M. A. Larson wrote on Twitter "Come on, two days into the hiatus and they've already spoiled Princess Sterling AND Princess Gold Lily?!? There go my first two episodes." On November 25, 2014, Jim Miller stated regarding the Rainbow Power package of Princess Sterling & Fluttershy "No spoilers there either, I'm afraid. Just a toy."
The Pony Life toys include two Alicorns sharing Twilight Sparkle's design; one of them is called Fizzleshake and resembles Fizzy, particularly G1 My Little Pony The End of Flutter Valley Part 4 error Alicorn Fizzy.
In Gameloft's mobile game, magic wings of the same design as in Sonic Rainboom are temporarily given to any non-Pegasus for the flying minigame, including the unicorns DJ Pon-3, Fancy Pants, Flam, Flim, Forsythia, Joe, Lovestruck, Lyra Heartstrings, Magnum, Minuette, Prince Blueblood, Rarity, Shining Armor, Snails, Snips, Sunset Shimmer, Sweetie Belle, Trixie, Twilight Sparkle, Twilight Velvet, Twilight's Dad, Twinkleshine, Unicorn Guard, and Upper Crust.
The player-designed ponies in Adventures in Ponyville, who can only be mares, can be Earth ponies, Pegasi, or unicorns, and for the Rainbow Dash's Cloud Bump minigame, Twilight Sparkle uses magic to give a player-designed pony and an unnamed Earth pony each a set of Pegasus wings temporarily; thus, if the player-designed pony is a unicorn, she will be an Alicorn for the minigame. The player-designed ponies in PonyMaker and its Rarity's Bridal Boutique version, who can be of any sex, can be Earth ponies, Pegasi, unicorns, or Alicorns.
Gameloft's mobile game formerly included a Changeling assuming the identity of Fleur Dis Lee but pretending to be an Alicorn, who the game identified as the unicorn Fleur Dis Lee until an update replaced this Changeling with Fleur Dis Lee herself. A model sheet for the game includes "Sweetiebelle[sic]" as an Alicorn.
In a French My Little Pony magazine story, Celestia has a cousin named Léon, a four-year-old Alicorn. The Haunting of Equestria features Princess Argent and Princess Solar, counterparts of Luna and Celestia from the Shadow Realm.
WeLoveFine's merchandise designs have included several Alicorn depictions:
- "Rarity Fabulous Bag" and "Flight of the Ponies" also depict Rarity with wings of gossamer and morning dew.
- "Dr. Hooves Line", "Dr. Hooves", "Hooves Scribble", and "Dr[sic] Hooves" include Alicorn mares similar to Weeping Angels from Doctor Who
- "Grown Up Ponies" included Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash both as Alicorns; "Engineered Alicorn" and "Steampunk Trixie" respectively included and include Twilight Sparkle and Trixie each equipped with steampunk wings; "All Dem Ponies" included six Alicorns, three of them mares and three of them stallions, with one of the stallions resembling Discord; "Iconic Print" included an Alicorn mare who is to appear as a unicorn in My Little Pony: The Castles of Equestria and who was originally created by Lauren Faust; and "We're All Doomed" includes Derpy as an Alicorn.
A display, used at EAG International 2015, has included Pony Creator[note 2] artwork of an Alicorn mare with a similar color scheme to Starlight Glimmer and the non-siren forms of Aria Blaze, named "Evening starlite", made by Dana Reynolds. In mid-February 2015, Jim Miller was asked regarding Evening starlite's resemblance to Starlight Glimmer and replied about him having no idea who Evening starlite is and them being not the same as far as he can tell.
The Alicorn Amulet
The Alicorn Amulet is an amulet which features the image of an Alicorn. In the episode Magic Duel, Trixie uses it to become a "highest level unicorn", gain immense magical powers, and antagonize the citizens of Ponyville. Twilight Sparkle finds out that only the wearer can remove the amulet and tricks Trixie into removing it with a fake amulet of her own in a magic duel.
- Princess Celestia image gallery
- Princess Luna image gallery
- Princess Cadance image gallery
- Queen Chrysalis image gallery
- Twilight Sparkle image gallery
- Flurry Heart image gallery
- Cozy Glow image gallery
- Wikipedia:Winged unicorn
- Alicorns on the Fan Wiki
- Earth ponies
- Pegasus ponies
- Crystal Ponies
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Our Shows. Hasbro Studios. Retrieved on 2015 January 15. “a powerful Alicorn princess -- a Unicorn with wings” “Alicorn (part-Unicorn/part-Pegasus)”
- My Little Pony Crystal Princess Ponies Collection Pack. Retrieved on 2013 February 13.
- Post by Hasbro's My Little Pony Facebook page (2011-05-19). Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- 'My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic' exclusive: Twilight's becoming a princess!. EW.com (2013-01-29). Retrieved on 2013 April 29.
- Lauren Faust comments about "Princess" Celestia on her deviantArt page (2010-12-21). Retrieved on 2011 September 13.
- Lauren Faust (2010-12-24). My Little NON-Homophobic, NON-Racist, NON-Smart-Shaming Pony: A Rebuttal. Retrieved on 2013 February 1.
- A selection of Series 1 trading cards including Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadance, and Nightmare Moon cards. Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- A selection of Series 2 trading cards including Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Princess Cadance gold cards. Retrieved on 2013 April 17.
- A selection of Series 2 trading cards including a Princess Celestia & Princess Luna card. Retrieved on 2013 April 17.
- A selection of Series 2 trading cards including a Princess Celestia & Princess Luna foil card. Retrieved on 2013 April 17.
- IntenseDebate comment on Equestria Daily (2013-04). Retrieved on 2013 April 17.
- Lauren Faust discussing Celestia's powers on deviantArt comments section (2011-12-18). Retrieved on 2011 December 20.
- Hillary Busis (2012-04-13). Saddle up: You're invited to a 'My Little Pony' royal wedding. PopWatch. Retrieved on 2012 April 14. Archived locally
- My Little Pony Royal Wedding Contest. Retrieved on 2012 October 6.
- Amy Keating Rogers (2014-06-11). @Pixel_Grip94 Well Cadance was a Pegasus orphan raised by Earth ponies and later adopted by Celestia as her niece.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 May 4.
- Meghan McCarthy (2013-04-14). “@WanWeengedAnjil: As an alicorn, will Twilight be immortal and forced to outlive all of her friends?” Twilight will not outlive her friends. Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 November 8.
- Jim Miller (2019-10-12). That was never said on the show. We don’t know how long everyone lives, Twilight included.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2019 October 13.
- Jim Miller (2019-10-12). We honestly never discussed it. Her friends have been exposed to a LOT of special magic over the years, so who knows how it’s affected them?. Twitter. Retrieved on 2019 October 13.
- Meghan McCarthy (2012-04-27). @jordanolling "QUEEN CHRYSALIS, a GANGLY BLACK PEGACORN with a gnarled black horn." @R_Dart gets all the credit. Retrieved on 2012 August 21.
- Interview with Rebecca Dart - Queen Chrysalis Designer. Equestria Daily (2012-08-20). Retrieved on 2012 August 21.
- My Little Pony Annual 2013
- Jayson Thiessen (2012-04-24). Shoutout to @R_Dart for the awesome design of Queen Chrysalis and her minions. Not to mention all the rest of her design work on #MLP. Retrieved on 2012 April 25.
- Rebecca Dart (2012-04-27). @jordanolling With a name like Chrysalis I figured she should be insect-like, and my inspiration was the work of manga artist Hideshi Hino.. Retrieved on 2012 April 28.
- Jim Miller (2016-05-02). @jadedjynx Nope. They say Alicorns have never been born IN EQUESTRIA.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2019 October 10.
- FiM layout artist on the "baby alicorn" in Twilight's imagination sequence. “The baby alicorn there was a mistake, the wings aren't supposed to be there.” Archived locally.
- FiM layout artist on some of the royal guards in Twilight's flashback sequence. “That would be a layout/animation error.” Archived locally.
- Jim Miller (2018-04-15). Oh, I’ve heard. It’s a mistake.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 April 16.
- Jim Miller (2018-04-15). It is.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 April 16.
- Jim Miller (2018-04-14). Mistakes.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 April 16.
- Heather Breckel (2014-07-09). Re: Friends Forever #7: Princess Luna & Pinkie Pie. The Round Stable. Retrieved on 2014 July 9.
- Heather Breckel (2014-07-09). Re: Friends Forever #7: Princess Luna & Pinkie Pie. The Round Stable. Retrieved on 2014 July 9.
- Bobby Curnow (2014-07-10). Re: Hello from the My Little Pony editor! (Ask Question thre. IDW Publishing Forums. Retrieved on 2014 July 10.
- English-only packaging of Glimmer Wings Rarity. Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- Trilingual packaging of Glimmer Wings Rarity. Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- My Little Pony So Soft Newborn Princess Skyla Doll. Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- Meghan McCarthy (2013-04-01). Episode 404 is called “Meet Princess Skyla”. #brony #MLPFIM #MLPseason4. Twitter. Retrieved on 2014 May 13.
- Jim Miller (2015-01-21). @alienofpizza Anything is possible! But no current plans.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 January 21.
- Jim Miller (2018-11-24). Skyla.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 November 24.
- M. A. Larson (2014-05-13). Come on, two days into the hiatus and they've already spoiled Princess Sterling AND Princess Gold Lily?!? There go my first two episodes.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2014 May 13.
- Jim Miller (2014-11-25). @Murrisson No spoilers there either, I'm afraid. Just a toy.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2014 December 16.
- Welcome Equestria's New Alicorn: Fleur Dis Lee!. Equestria Daily (2013-03-28). Retrieved on 2013 March 28.
- Aa73diQ.png (2013-03-28). Retrieved on 2013 March 28.
- Master file type02&04_pony guide.jpg (2012-11-11). Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- Grown Up Ponies. Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- Engineered Alicorn. Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- All Dem Ponies. Retrieved on 2013 March 1.
- Iconic Print. Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- My Little Pony: The Castles of Equestria: An Enchanted My Little Pony Pop-Up Book. Retrieved on 2015 February 27.
- Gillian M. Berrow (2015-05-09). @MatthewReinhar1 has captured the beauty of Equestria's castles through his amazing pop-ups. The book is out on 6/2!. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 May 12.
- Exclusive Season 1 Retrospective Interview with Lauren Faust. Equestria Daily (2011-09-16). Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- Lauren Faust (2011-09-16). Interview for Equestria Daily by *fyre-flye on DeviantArt. Retrieved on 2013 February 4.
- Desirée Skylark (2015-01-22). My Little Ponies at the EAG International and London Toy Fair 2015. YouTube. Retrieved on 2015 January 24.
- Dana Reynolds (2011-12-30). Evening starlite. My Little Pony: FIM Fan Characters. Fanpop. Retrieved on 2015 January 24.
- Jim Miller (2015-02-12). @Murrisson I have no idea who that character is in the toy photo. Not the same as far as I can tell.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 February 12.
- Damian Ziomek (2012-04-29). Chrysalis The Dark Queen. DeviantArt. Retrieved on 2017 April 19.