|Published:|| March 5, 2019 (#75)|
March 20, 2019 (#76)
April 2019 (#77)
May 2019 (#78)
|Writer:|| Katie Cook|
| Gallery • Allusions • IDW Publishing|
IDW Limited • IDW Publishing Forums
Friendship is Magic #74
Cosmos is the twenty-second story arc of IDW Publishing's comic series, spanning five parts over issues #75-78. In this story, the Mane Six's quest for the fallen stars of a missing constellation puts them on a collision course with their most galactic adversary yet.
The issue begins in the distant past, some time during Discord's first reign. As his chaos gets extremely out of control, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Queen Novo, King Aspen, and the King of Abyssinia try to contain the damage being caused. When Discord is dragged before the princesses and accused of taking his chaos too far, he insists that he is not causing this.
Just then, a giant creature appears demanding that Discord be returned to her, and Discord begs Celestia and the others to save him from this creature. With their combined magic, Discord and the royals banish the creature to the stars, and the chaos is brought under control. Just before Celestia can question Discord on who the creature was and what just happened, Discord puts her and the others to sleep, erases the creature's existence from their memories, and bids the creature farewell, referring to her as "Cosmos".
In present-day Equestria, the Mane Six and Spike browse through a Ponyville flea market, where Rarity has just purchased a necklace with a mysterious purple star on it. Believing it to be more Twilight Sparkle's style, Rarity gives the necklace to her, and when Twilight puts it on, she hears a voice in her head telling her to "find the rest". She calls an emergency meeting at the Castle of Friendship, and her friends tell her they do not hear the voice while wearing the necklace.
While Twilight tries to make sense of the voice's words, the necklace suddenly creates a holographic image of the galaxy, focusing on a constellation of six stars arranged in the shape of a heart. Twilight recognizes the constellation as the Andalusian, an arrangement of stars that appeared in the night sky centuries ago but disappeared some time later, and realizes that the necklace is one of the six stars that fell out of the sky. Twilight is excited to solve one of the biggest cosmic mysteries of all time—so much so that she appears to become obsessed with finding the rest of the stars.
The ponies decide to recruit some of their other friends to help them on this quest while Twilight stays behind to plan out their trip. When Spike expresses a hungry interest in the necklace's star jewel, Twilight keeps it from him, momentarily snapping in uncharacteristic anger. As Spike leaves the room, it is revealed that Cosmos has taken control of Twilight's body through the necklace, and she wants to gather the stars together in order to regain her true form and be with Discord again.
In another flashback to thousands of years ago, Discord and Cosmos created chaos together, and Cosmos was obsessively in love with him. Unable to handle Cosmos' rabid obsession with him, Discord reasoned that the only way to escape her was to surrender himself to Celestia.
Back in present day, the Mane Six team up with Big McIntosh, Zecora, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders to track down the rest of the fallen Andalusian stars. Twilight sends Pinkie Pie and Big Mac to Klugetown, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Spike to the Crystal Empire, Zecora and the Crusaders to Griffonstone, and Fluttershy to the Everfree Forest while she and Applejack go to Canterlot. As the teams head out, Applejack notices Twilight behaving strangely.
On the way to Canterlot, Applejack picks up on more strange behavior from Twilight and worries that the necklace is causing it, but Twilight assures her that she is fine. When they reach Canterlot Castle, Applejack suggests letting the princesses know they have arrived, but Twilight ignores her and proceeds into a secret underground chamber housing various forbidden artifacts. She finds the chest that the second Andalusian star is locked inside and appears obsessed with claiming it.
When Applejack tries to remove Twilight's necklace, Twilight angrily snaps at her, and Applejack realizes she is under someone else's control. With her cover blown, Cosmos attacks Applejack, forcing Applejack to fight back and defend herself. Cosmos eventually overpowers Applejack using Twilight's magical superiority and traps her in a cage. With Applejack out of the way, Cosmos claims the second star for herself and heads to the throne room.
Meanwhile, back in Ponyville, Fluttershy heads to her cottage where she had left Discord to take care of Angel. When she tells him that they are tasked with finding a fallen star in the Everfree Forest, Discord realizes she is referring to the Andalusian stars and is alarmed to discover that Cosmos is returning. He takes Fluttershy to his realm and explains that Cosmos is a being of chaos like him who took her love of chaos too far. Celestia and her allies sealed her away in the stars, but a shooting star knocked her out of the sky, and the stars were scattered across Equestria. Discord found one of the stars in the Everfree Forest and buried it so that all of the stars could never be reunited.
Fluttershy reasons that Discord knows more about Cosmos and the threat she poses than anyone else, and at her encouragement, Discord agrees to unearth the third Andalusian star—still where he left it long ago—and take it to Princess Celestia. Unfortunately, when they go to Canterlot Castle, Cosmos has already used the second star to take control of Celestia's body. Using the third star that Fluttershy and Discord brought with them, she takes control of Princess Luna as well.
With Discord present, Cosmos is excited to pick up where they left off thousands of years ago and wreak violent chaos across Equestria with him once she is back to full power. When Discord tells Cosmos that he has reformed from his previously chaotic ways, Cosmos is disturbingly displeased. Fearing that Discord might warn the rest of the Mane Six about her return, Cosmos distracts him by transforming Fluttershy into a pony/butterfly hybrid. Discord takes Fluttershy and escapes while Cosmos waits for the rest of the Andalusian stars to be brought together.
|This section should be expanded or updated. You can assist by editing it.|
- Cosmos: Now, now, it's not nice to touch things that aren't yours. Return him to me.
- Princess Luna: Who... What... are you?
- Cosmos: NO! DISCORD! STOP THEM!
- Discord: What was that, dear? I can't hear you over all the chaos.
- Discord: I can't let any of you remember this. Wake up and think it was me. There wasn't anyone else here. It was all me.
- Pinkie Pie: Can you believe ponies are selling this stuff? I'd keep it forever!
- Twilight Sparkle: That's called "hoarding," and it's usually something only dragons do.
- Spike: Hey! ...You are not wrong, but still.
- Twilight Sparkle: So. None of you hear a voice when you put on that necklace?
- Applejack: Nope.
- Rainbow Dash: Wait... I'm getting something...
- Twilight Sparkle: Yes. What do you hear?
- Rainbow Dash: That you are an overworked egghead and hearing things and you should take [gasp] a break.
- Twilight Sparkle: Har de har har.
- Rainbow Dash: So... what do we do? Just find all these things and fling them back into the sky?
- Applejack: Seems simple enough... I mean, we have a map telling us where to look.
- Rainbow Dash: And the flinging them back into the sky part?
- Applejack: Well, I can kick mighty hard...
- Twilight Sparkle: Find the rest... Yes. I'll find the rest. I should leave now and find the rest.
- Fluttershy: Are you all right?
- Twilight Sparkle: Oh... Yes, just excited with the thought of discovery and all that. You know how I get.
- Pinkie Pie: Do I need to bring my giant comb? I have a giant comb.
- Rainbow Dash: Why do you have that?
- Applejack: Where did you have that?
- Pinkie Pie: Have you seen my mane? This much bounce takes work!
- Rarity: You know, I have the most wonderful conditioner for that.
- Pinkie Pie: Conditioner? What's that? I wash my hair with frosting.
- Rarity: Really? Is that why you always smell like vanilla?
- Spike: Well, you won't need this for a bit. Can I at least smell it until they get back? Maybe lick it? I promise I won't eat it.
- Twilight Sparkle: NO! DON'T TOUCH IT!
- Twilight Sparkle (Cosmos): At last, after all this time, somepony powerful enough for me to embody has found me. And a princes no less. How delightfully fortunate. I will need every piece of my magic so I can get back to... him. Are you ready, Discord, my dear? Bit by bit, I'm coming home.
- Applejack: Does she seem a little... more intense than usual?
- Rainbow Dash: No... This is a pretty normal level of intense for her.
- Apple Bloom: I'm just excited to be included in one of y'all's adventure!
- Scootaloo: We're in the big leagues now, ponies. Watch out!
- Sweetie Belle: Next step: our own chairs at the weird map-table-thing!
- Twilight Sparkle: Let's get out there, find the stars of the Andalusian constellation, and...
- Twilight Sparkle (Cosmos): ...bring them all to me.
- Twilight Sparkle: I'm just... so excited about the prospect of solving an astronomical mystery! Ha! See what I did there?
- Rainbow Dash: No. I'm getting out of here before there are more puns. Nope.
- Applejack: You aren't going to do that the whole train ride to Canterlot, are you?
- Twilight Sparkle: How about this one? The rotation of the planet really makes my day.
- Applejack: Does anypony want to switch partners? Trade 'ya an apple. ...Please?
- Applejack: Uh, Twilight? Looky here, Ah think it's time to take off that necklace... You're getting a little excited.
- Twilight Sparkle (Cosmos): DON'T TOUCH IT!
- Applejack: Gasp! You ain't Twilight!
- Twilight Sparkle (Cosmos): Oh, she's still in here. I bring her out when needed. If you prefer, some call me... COSMOS!
- Discord: You said we're going on a trip? I do hope it's to go antiquing! A chippendale table for my breakfast nook would be lovely! Or perhaps—scuba diving in the Great Farrier Reef? Oh. What about a walk in Gallop Park? Oh, gouda! A cheese plate!
- Discord: You're being far too calm and reasonable.
- Fluttershy: It's a gift.
- Cosmos: Discord. Darling. It's so lovely to see you again.
- Discord: Oooooooh, no.
- Discord: I'm a reformed draconequus. So I think you'll just need to find somepony else to... reign with?
- Princess Celestia (Cosmos): I am so very displeased to hear that, darling.
- Princess Luna (Cosmos): Do you know what would distract you from warning the world about my return.
- Discord: A sternly worded letter?
- Princess Luna (Cosmos): If you're too busy trying to save something you care about.
- Princess Luna (Cosmos): He'll be back.
- Princess Celestia (Cosmos): He always comes back.