- Return to Smolder
Smolder and Spike Theory
I want to keep this speculation kinda vague because I want it to surprise everyone if it so happens to happen! I'm not expecting it to happen, but... yeah, I kinda am, but not too much, knowing these writers! As far-fetched as this seems, it would probably be the best path to take in my opinion! :3
So basically, I've been thinking of what Spike and Smolder's relationship might be on the show, and even though I did think about shipping them, I quickly threw that aside out of a better idea! Spike has never met his family, right? Does Spike's family even know their missing egg has somehow hatched and is living a life amongst pony kind? Well, the point I'm trying to say is: I believe Spike and Smolder are brother and sister, and they just don't know it! Yes, that does sound far-fetched, you don't need to tell me that, but I have a ton of reasons to think about this being the case!
- Spike has never met is family, and his family probably doesn't even know their lost egg is living amongst pony kind, which is why Smolder probably doesn't even know!
- Spike and Smolder share similar personalities! However, Smolder lives amongst dragons which is why she has a "dragon" personality, but Smolder is also sarcastic, snarky, and loyal to those she cares about, in this case: the Student Six! Isn't Spike like that too? Is he not sarcastic, snarky, and loyal to his friends as well?
- They look similar!
They don't look exactly the same, mind you! But then again, does Twilight and Shining Armor look the same? Does AJ and Big Mac? Does Flutters and Zephyr? Look at how Spike and Smolder look compared to the dragons on List of non-pony characters/Dragons! There are really not many dragons that share the similar looks to Spike and Smolder. Now perhaps all dragon children look like that, maybe, but we haven't seen many dragon children in the series, right? So-far Spike is the youngest one that appeared in the series!
Does Ember know this? Now that is completely unknown to me. She might've done her research and found Spike's family, and brought Smolder to the friendship school to reunite Spike with his long-lost sister, but not revealing that info yet, just to see how they would get along! Or, Ember had no idea and it was pure coincidence that they reunited!
It's still a bit early though, so I don't expect y'all to believe me right on the dot, or even at all! But we can agree that this would indeed make an intense plot-twist that would surprise many of the fandom is a good way! :D Even I'd be surprised! I don't expect to be right! But if I am, I thought of this for Spike's sake, not my own! --Mega Sean 45 (talk) 02:27, April 11, 2018 (UTC)
- Definitely an interesting theory; I myself would definitely prefer it to the idea of the two of them as a couple. Family resemblance is definitely a tricky thing in the franchise, so it's entirely possible that they could be siblings. It would be interesting to find out what family dynamics are like among the dragons; thus far the only familial relationship we've officially seen is the father-daughter connection between Torch and Ember. I half wouldn't be surprised if dragons have a history of not watching over their young; maybe like some real-world reptiles they lay the eggs and then take off to do their own thing.--Kilmarnock228 (talk) 04:52, April 11, 2018 (UTC)
- If this theory were actually to happen, it wouldn't be revealed right away. They'd have to start off with a causal Spike/Smolder interaction episodes before to see how they'd work-out upon eachother!
- However there is a little something that happened on Twitter, a conversation between Big Jim and another user: link's right here, that confirmed that Ember is indeed not related to Smolder. But look below that! Now this doesn't confirm my theory, but Jim didn't say "no"! It doesn't add to it, but it doesn't take it away either! It means the theory is still alive, and Jim could be hinting some kind of relationship between Spike and Smolder by not dismissing that thought! If we're going to know something about this, it's most likely after the hiatus! So this theory will survive until then! ;) --Mega Sean 45 (talk) 21:57, May 26, 2018 (UTC)
- Very interesting indeed. I know that the creators have talked about knowing the family situations of the Young Six, and I'd imagine we'll get to see some or all of their families before the season's out. A commercial for new episodes (not one specifically) has shown some yaks, so I'd guess we'll see Yona's family at some point here. I'd say your theory still has some plausibility; it's one of those things we'll just have to wait for.--Kilmarnock228 (talk) 08:48, May 29, 2018 (UTC)
- Yeah, I'm buying into this theory more and more. I think it's a lot because, not just the similar designs, but also the similar personalities (like, I get the feeling that Smolder is what Spike would be like, were he raised by dragons instead of ponies).--
- Thought I should let everyone know, in The Hearth's Warming Club, we saw Sandbar's family, Yona's family, and all changelings are pretty much Ocellus' family, and we realize Gallus is an orphan (check out my speculation of Gallus cause I have a theory), and in Surf and/or Turf we met Silverstream's family! Now Smolder is the only one left whose family is still a mystery! We only know she has a bro, that's about it! --Mega Sean 45 (talk) 04:06, August 4, 2018 (UTC)
First off, I think Smolder's brother has to be older than her, considering the fact that she mentions about how he got kicked out of the house - and from the way she describes it, it sounds like she was there (and that would only make sense if she herself had not been kicked out yet.
Having said that, then, who might the brother be? Could it be a dragon we haven't met? Or could it be a dragon we have, like, say, Garble? Granted, it's mostly been used as a joke, but at the same time, since there's nothing to disprove it, I can't dismiss it just like that (especially since I'm entertained at that possibility).
Even more entertaining would be if both theories were true - that Garble is Smolder's older brother, and that Spike is her younger brother that her parents lost as an egg.--
- That would mean Garble has to be Spike's older bro this whole time, and it would really make them both upset! XD This would be an hilarious episode to have later this season or next season! Most likely next season! Would this made Garble and Spike have to get along unexpectedly? Probably not right away, but if Garble were in danger and then Spike saves his life, he'd probably still not accept him completely, but maybe a small mumbling 'thank you' in there or something. This would be an awesome episode! Let's make this happen! --Mega Sean 45 (talk) 15:58, May 29, 2018 (UTC)
The idea of Garble potentially being related to Smolder occurred to me as well; it would make things interesting. The idea of a sibling trio of them and Spike makes me wonder even more about dragon biology; I can't help but wonder how old they actually are. I also wonder how long Spike was in the egg, and if there's a possibility he was actually laid before Smolder and/or Garble. It will be interesting to see how the story of Smolder's family unfolds in the future.
- I just thought of something for this last night! If Garble truly is Spike's bro (and Smolder's), y'think Garble already knows it somewhat? I mean how he really hates Spike for liking ponies, it's almost like he neglects him for it, and is ashamed to call him his brother because of how different they are. Also the reason why he's always jealous of Spike as well for having friends by himself, while he only has a "gang" which is what he'd most likely call his "friends". Either that or Garble has no idea, but this would make an interesting episode if this turned out true! But more like a sequel to an episode where Spike discovers his relatives instead of the episode itself probably. --Mega Sean 45 (talk) 14:33, June 28, 2018 (UTC)
- I'd be inclined to think that Garble has no idea, and will be just as horrified to find out that Spike is his brother-should such a development occur-as Spike would probably be in the same circumstances. Any such development would definitely be interesting, particularly as a departure from Garble and his cronies being spiritual descendants of these louts. We'll just have to wait and see; given that the creative team have talked about the Young Six's family stories being fully developed, I imagine an episode about Smolder's family is in the tubes.--Kilmarnock228 (talk) 09:40, June 29, 2018 (UTC)
Well now this is just getting ridculous with all these theories I'm making! XD Now I think Scales is Spike and Smolder's mom, and Smolder's story was all about her own mom and how she became Dragon Lord before Torch! I mean Scales does have Spike's eyes! No I am not relating every dragon cause they're all dragons! I'm just relating certain particular dragons cause they look similar and how they could connect which looks pretty convient! :P
Smolder probably didn't mention that Scales is her mom since she neglects her for kicking her out during her molt stage, but still thinks she's cool just as a dragon? --Mega Sean 45 (talk) 22:26, August 9, 2018 (UTC)
- I personally believe (at least until official material says otherwise) that Scales (along with all the other dragons in the story) are in-universe fictional, but I'll keep that seed planted in the back of my mind, in case something like what you suggest is done with this.--
- Yeah it's possible that she's fictional! A friend of mine who agrees with my first Smolder theory said this as well! However, I would think there would be some reason for Smolder to tell this story than it just being a story. Then again, it's there to explain a dragon holiday, at least so far! We'll see though! The answer may not be that far! In fact, we might know by next week if any of these theories is true! --Mega Sean 45 (talk) 21:51, August 15, 2018 (UTC)
Spike and Smolder Theory - Alternative
If by any chance Smolder is not Spike's sister, another choice (which is a more popular one), she could be his girlfriend! Spike and Smolder share a big bond in the series, and she could be the key to Spike finally ending his crush on Rarity! Two birds with one stone in this case!
I also may add that Big Jim said "we're trying not to give the Mane 6 relationships", but Spike's not Mane 6! :3 If there's anyway for Spike to be rewarded with his patience with Rarity, it's getting a much better girl Spike can relate to and is close with! So long Sparity! Rarity's free labor enterprise shall soon come to an end! >:) --Mega Sean 45 (talk) 19:50, August 28, 2018 (UTC)