|My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #89|
|Published:||August 12, 2020|
|Credits • Gallery • Allusions|
The Fast and the Furriest
Friendship is Magic #90
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #89, also titled Season 10 Episode 1 and The Farasian Shores - Part 1 and titled Zecora Returns Home - Part 1 in trade paperback, is the eighty-ninth issue of IDW Publishing's Friendship is Magic comic series. It is the first installment of the comics' "Season 10", taking place after the series' season nine. In the issue, Applejack, Zecora, Rockhoof, and Tempest Shadow travel to Zecora's homeland of Farasi.
A pair of events inspired partly by this issue and it’s sequels, "Casobronco" and "Welcome to Ornithia", were included in Gameloft’s mobile game.
After the ceremony of Twilight Sparkle's first sunrise as ruler of Equestria, she gathers together many of her friends from across Equestria to Canterlot Castle. She explains that Equestria has expanded greatly as a result of her and the rest of the Mane Six's adventures together. Because her new princess duties will require her to stay in Canterlot more often, Twilight has tasked her friends with forming new groups of friends to explore Equestria even further in the spirit of making new bonds of friendship and strengthening old ones:
- Rainbow Dash has chosen Captain Celaeno, Spitfire, and the recently married Lyra Heartstrings and Sweetie Drops to travel with her to Celaeno's homeland of Parrot Peaks.
- Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie have chosen Capper, Discord, and Trixie to travel with them to Capper's original homeland of Abyssinia.
- Rarity has chosen Big McIntosh, Maud Pie, and Mage Meadowbrook to travel with her to the hidden kingdom of the Diamond Dogs.
- Lastly, Applejack has chosen Zecora, Rockhoof, and Tempest Shadow to travel with her to the zebra homeland of Farasi.
However, Zecora is upset over being made a part of Applejack's group without her permission, and she gets deeply offended at Applejack for expecting her to be grateful for something she never asked for or wanted. Applejack apologizes for assuming Zecora wanted to return home, and Zecora reluctantly agrees to join the group for Applejack's sake.
The next day, Applejack and her group are seen off by their friends and families, and they depart on a ship run by Cranky Doodle Donkey and his first mate Ragamuffin. They face violent stormy waters, Diamond Dog pirates, and territorial narwhals during their voyage before they finally reach their destination. Zecora is very nervous about being back home, and one of the Farasi locals arrives to greet the group: another zebra named Marini. Though Marini welcomes her old best friend warmly, Zecora is distant and anxious.
As the group moves toward the Farasi capital city of Zebrat, Marini explains that they will be meeting with Abraxas, one of Farasi's four ruling princes. Just then, the rest of Zecora's old circle of friends appears: an abada (two-horned unicorn) named Dust Devil, another abada named Cactus Rose, a kelpie named Medley Brook, and another kelpie named Crystal. Upon being face-to-face with her old friends, Zecora runs away in a panic.
- Tempest Shadow: Didn't you just try to take over the kingdom?
- Discord: Oh, that was all a big misunderstanding. What happened was...
- Pinkie Pie: [to Sweetie Drops] Oooh! I'm so happy for you and Lyra! You're such a cute couple!
- Rockhoof: You're a stallion of few words, ain't ya?
- Big McIntosh: Yup.
- Rockhoof: I respect that, but I'm still gonna beat ya anywho!
- Zecora: My quaking knee, my teary eye, we zebras were not meant to fly!
- Zecora: You listen to me and you listen well, because I will not repeat this. You know nothing about my life or where I come from. You know nothing about who I was before I came to Equestria. You know nothing. For all you know, you are asking me to walk into a place where I am not wanted, or I am in danger. And you presume to act as if I should be grateful that you have given me so little thought.
- Applejack: When you were yelling at me, none of that rhymed! Why didn't it rhyme?!
- Zecora: If to my home we're going to go, realize how much you do not know.
- Applejack: Fair 'nuff.
- Rainbow Dash: Eh, I guess it's pretty cool. I mean, our ship flies, but...
- Applejack: Rainbow Dash, did you come to wish me clear sailin', or just to brag about your airship?
- Rainbow Dash: I don't see why it can't be both.
- Applejack: Did he just call me a ragamuffin?
- Ragamuffin: Nah, miss, he's calling me! S'my name, Ragamuffin, yeah? I'll be your first mate, wha?
- Applejack: That's a purty crazy accent he's got.
- Rockhoof: Aye, it is a mite... unusual.
- Steven Magnet: Listen here, you little doggies, I can't let you attack my best buddy Cranky's ship!
- Cranky Doodle Donkey: Good save, Steven!
- Tempest Shadow: [to Zecora] For what it's worth, I ran away from home too, and I didn't even think I'd go back. But I found my old best friend again, and we're closer now than we ever were. You know, if you needed to hear that, or whatever.
- Marini: Is that ol' sunshine flanks?! Kid, it's been years! You look so different! Get over here and give your best friend a hug!
- Zecora: NO! It's been years since I've seen your face, I do not wish for this embrace.
- Marini: I thought Rockhoof had disappeared a thousand years ago?!
- Rockhoof: Funny story that is! You see, there was this well...
- Tempest Shadow: This is going to be a long trip.
- Applejack: Oh, gosh, didn't know I'd be meeting a prince. Maybe Twilight shoulda sent somepony else.
- Tempest Shadow: In my experience, most royalty is disappointing. For a while there I was turning a prince or princess to stone once a week.
- Applejack: You don't plan on turning this one to stone, do you?
- Tempest Shadow: Not unless he gets on my nerves. So... about a fifty-fifty chance.
- Marini: May I introduce-- Dust Devil.
- Dust Devil: Oh my gosh! It's really you!
- Marini: Cactus Rose.
- Cactus Rose: You all look thirsty. You should come sit down.
- Marini: Medley Brook.
- Medley Brook: Just make sure you don't drink any of us kelpies--we may look like water, but we kick!
- Marini: And Crystal.
- Crystal: What a truly auspicious occasion.
- Jeremy Whitley (2020-08-16). @ImperfectXIII @MLPSilverQuill Yes, the first arc is officially called "The Farassian Shores" which is the name of the area where Zecora's hometown exists.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2020 August 16.