|My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #91|
|Published:||November 18, 2020|
|Song(s):||Talk to Your Friends|
|Credits • Gallery • Allusions|
Friendship is Magic #90
Friendship is Magic #92
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #91, also titled Season 10 Episode 3 and The Farasian Shores - Part 3 and titled Zecora Returns Home - Part 3 in trade paperback, is the ninety-first issue of IDW Publishing's Friendship is Magic comic series. It is the third installment of the comics' "Season 10", taking place after the series' season nine. In the issue, Zecora, Applejack, and their friends travel into the depths of the Farasian desert in search of the home of the Grootslang.
The issue once again begins with a flashback to Zecora's childhood, when she, Marini, Dust Devil, Cactus Rose, Medley Brook, and Crystal are playing a role-playing game in the desert outside their home of Zebrat. As Zecora directs the group as game master, the others get into a heated argument over who should be the leader, causing Zecora frustration.
In present day, they, Applejack, Rockhoof, and Tempest Shadow make their way through the desert in pursuit of the monstrous Grootslang. During their journey, Zecora apologizes to Marini for leaving her home without saying anything; the honest Marini admits her feelings get hurt easily and says she is glad to finally make amends.
The group comes across a large, seemingly impassable gorge. Cactus Rose, using her ability to communicate with plants, speaks with the local cacti and learns of a bridge to the north that goes across the gorge. However, the bridge is guarded by a giant speaking roc that refuses to let them cross. Tempest prepares to get past the roc by force, but Dust Devil wants to reach out to the roc with kindness instead. The roc explains that she landed in the desert looking for food, but the air currents were not strong enough to lift her back up, causing her to be separated her from her home and family.
Dust Devil offers to help the roc get airborne in exchange for letting them and their friends cross the bridge. The roc agrees, and Dust Devil uses their incredible speed to create an air current strong enough to lift her into the sky. However, when Dust Devil comes to a halt, they fly uncontrollably over the edge of the gorge, prompting Crystal to save them with her ice-making powers. The roc thanks Dust Devil for their help and flies off, and Crystal mentions to Tempest that, as cynical as she is, she is still loyal to her friends and does not want to see them get hurt.
After some more time walking through the desert, the group starts to get exhausted from the intense heat, and Crystal's body starts to dry out after using too much ice to save Dust Devil earlier. Cactus Rose generously offers to give Crystal her drinking water, but Marini suggests asking the nearby cacti for some water instead. After some conversing, the cacti agree to donate their water in exchange for a song. The excited Medley Brook jumps in and starts to sing Talk to Your Friends, which Marini, Zecora, and their friends later join in. Over the course of the song, Zecora apologizes to all of her friends for abandoning them, and Crystal apologizes to Zecora for bullying her when they were little.
Soon after the song ends, the Grootslang appears and attacks the group. As the group flees, they spot the temple where the Grootslang lives. Tempest Shadow and Rockhoof hold off the attacking creature while the others get to the temple and try to uncover its secrets. Once inside, they are shocked to discover another Tree of Harmony.
- Marini: You know, I gotta be honest.
- Zecora: Honest you never lack. You share that with Applejack.
- Marini: Yeah, not sure I ever got the hang of lying.
- Rockhoof: Fearless leader Applejack. I know this is a foreign land, and I am from a distant time, but given my expertise in the ways of the digging of such... I would wager a guess that this is a hole.
- Tempest Shadow: So, we're all just gonna pretend like plants can talk? We're just gonna go along with this and risk getting stuck in the desert?
- Crystal: I think I like you. We should be friends.
- Tempest Shadow: Yeah, I'm not really that into the "friends" thing.
- Crystal: Perfect. We should be pen pals that never write to each other but could if we wanted to.
- Tempest Shadow: I... wouldn't hate that.
- Applejack: Golly, they're quick! Can they really do it?
- Zecora: If indeed it can be done, Dust Devil would be the one.
- Marini: And they got even faster since last time you saw them run!
- Dust Devil: Hopeless? Nothing's hopeless!
- Dust Devil: How'd you know I'd need that, Crystal?
- Crystal: Because you always rush to help others without thinking about what's gonna happen to you, you kind-hearted goofball.
- Crystal: You know how it is. Somepony's gotta keep the goody-goodies from hurting themselves.
- Tempest Shadow: You don't have to explain loyalty to me. Everypony in Equestria is always seconds away from giving every monster everything it wants.
- Crystal: So... we can still be pen pals?
- Tempest Shadow: As long as you don't want to share hidden feelings and secrets with me.
- Crystal: Ewww... That sounds gross.
- Cactus Rose: I should give her my drinking water.
- Marini: Rose, that's generous, but I have a better idea.
- Tempest Shadow: How is it possible this followed me from another continent?
- Marini: I missed you, kid.
- Zecora: Marini, friend, I'll tell you true. Every day, I've missed you too.
- Rockhoof: Lead the others on, Applejack. We shall buy ye time to discover the temple's secrets.
- Applejack: Are you sure?
- Tempest Shadow: Aye.
- Rockhoof: As she says.
- Applejack: How is the Tree of Harmony here?
- Jeremy Whitley (2020-08-16). @ImperfectXIII @MLPSilverQuill Yes, the first arc is officially called "The Farassian Shores" which is the name of the area where Zecora's hometown exists.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2020 August 16.