|My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #97|
|Published:||May 19, 2021|
|Credits • Gallery • Allusions|
Friendship is Magic #96
Friendship is Magic #98
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #97, also titled Season 10 Episode 9 and Abyssinians - Part 2, is the ninety-seventh issue of IDW Publishing's Friendship is Magic comic series. It is the ninth installment of the comics' "Season 10", taking place after the series' season nine, and the second part of a two-part story arc. In the issue, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Trixie, Discord, and Capper try to figure out what's going on in Abyssinia after being liberated from jail by Capper's old friends.
In the sewers under Panthera, Chummer introduces Capper and his friends to the Abyssinian Underground, an effort led by Chummer to liberate and shelter the oppressed cats living under the tyrannical King Meowmeow. Admiral Fluffington removes Trixie's magic-disabling collar, but when she attempts to remove Discord's collar with her magic, she accidentally melts the lock, preventing its removal. When Discord gets upset with Trixie, Fluttershy breaks up the argument and tells them to work together for the sake of saving the city.
Chummer explains, despite King Meowmeow's efforts to rid the city of all magic, there is one area of the underground tunnels that houses a strange locked door; the door has recently been guarded by Meowmeow's royal guards and supposedly houses an ancient Abyssinian magic temple. Chummer and his friends believe whatever is behind the door will help the resistance movement oppose Meowmeow's rule. Shadow chooses Fluttershy to investigate the door with her because she is the quietest among the group.
While waiting for Shadow and Fluttershy to return, Chummer explains to Capper that, after betraying and leaving him behind in Klugetown, an injured Chummer was found and nursed back to health by a pair of dogs named Pepper and Salty and inspired by their kindness to return to Panthera and do what he could for the oppressed populace.
Shadow and Fluttershy return to report their findings; the door is now even more heavily guarded by Meowmeow's forces. Fluttershy comes up with a plan to get past them: Discord (wearing Capper's jacket to conceal his collar) and Trixie work together to distract the guards and draw them away from the door, and Capper uses his lockpicking skills to open the door. However, King Meowmeow appears and reveals this was all according to his plan; he had tried for years to open the door without success, so he deliberately made sure the Abyssinian Underground knew about Capper's return so that they would open the door for him.
Beyond the unlocked door, King Meowmeow discovers another Tree of Harmony. When he makes clear his intention to destroy it, Fluttershy, Chummer, and the others fight back. During the ensuing conflict, one of Meowmeow's guards breaks Discord's collar off, allowing him to use his magic again. Once Meowmeow and his forces are incapacitated, Capper and Chummer make amends for their past separation. Their reignited friendship causes panels on the floor to light up when Capper and his friends stand on them: loyalty for Chummer, generosity for Capper, laughter for Molly, kindness for Admiral Fluffington, honesty for Max, and magic for Shadow.
With the Elements of Harmony awakened, the Tree of Harmony's chamber raises up from underneath Meowmeow's palace and covers Panthera with magic, granting some cats around the city the ability to use it. In the aftermath, King Meowmeow is removed from power, Capper and his friends are hailed as heroes, and Fluttershy writes a letter to Twilight Sparkle. Meanwhile, in the library shown at the end of Friendship is Magic Issue 92 and the My Little Pony Annual 2021, the display of five lights now has four lights lit up.
- Chummer: Welcome to the Abyssinian Underground.
- Molly: I could maybe blow it up?
- Admiral Fluffington: You'd probably take his head with it.
- Molly: That is a risk.
- Discord: It's worth it! I'll just reattach it after--but I won't have my magic until after, so maybe I won't--Wait! Will I never have magic again?!
- Fluttershy: Discord, we will get your collar off, I promise. But first, we are representatives of Equestria, and we're supposed to be helping! I understand you're both upset, but I've been uncomfortable on every adventure I've ever been on!
- Trixie: I told you I was sorry!
- Discord: I know you're a sorry excuse for a wizard, but I want you to apologize!
- Shadow: That's it! I'm taking Fluttershy here and scouting ahead! The rest of you stay put!
- Fluttershy: Why me?
- Shadow: Because you're the only one that can be quiet.
- Capper: You got rescued by dogs!
- Chummer: I was as surprised as you.
- Chummer: Not everycreature does everything for their own benefit. You can choose to be good. You can choose to be a friend.
- Shadow: This pony is quieter than most cats I know.
- Fluttershy: I am very stealthy.
- Fluttershy: The whole thing relies on Discord and Trixie.
- Trixie: A very wise decision.
- Discord: That is an objectively terrible decision.
- Discord: Greetings, furballs. It is I, the Great and Powerful--Discord!
- Trixie: Attention mortals! You face the mistress of chaos! Trick-see!
- King Meowmeow: Some sort of magical tree, huh? I'll have to get rid of that.
- Fluttershy: That's a Tree of Harmony! It's a source of magic and friendship! You can't!
- King Meowmeow: Watch me.
- Chummer: Capper, old friend, I'm sorry I pulled you into this.
- Capper: Are you kidding? This is the only way I'd want to go--fighting for my friends and my home.
- Cat Guard 1: Clank?
- Cat Guard 2: What kind of creature has a neck that goes clank when you hit it?
- Discord: Oh, I love riddles! I know the answer to this one--a free one.
- King Meowmeow: What is the meaning of this?
- Fluttershy: It doesn't have to have a meaning. It's chaos. And he's my best friend!
- Capper: Some best friend. You know, I used to have one of those.
- Chummer: I'd love to have one again, if you can forgive me.
- Capper: I thought I'd lost you for good, buddy. I've done some pretty rotten things in my time, and if I can be forgiven, so can you.
- Shadow: I don't understand. I don't know magic. I've never done magic. Cats don't do magic. Why me?
- Fluttershy: Because friendship is magic... and so are you.
- Unknown Character: Boss! We got another one!