|How Applejack Got Her Hat Back|
|Season episode №:||3|
|Overall episode №:||3|
|Original airdate:||November 7, 2020 (Discovery Family GO)|
November 14, 2020 (Discovery Family)
|Written by:||Katie Chilson|
|Storyboard:||Giulia Caruso & Oriol Vidal|
|credits • transcript • gallery • allusions|
animation errors • statistics • speculation
The Best of the Worst
In this episode, Applejack finds herself in the midst of an identity crisis when her signature hat becomes a city-wide fashion craze, so she joins a group of alternative ponies in the hopes of finding a new style to replace her old look.
This episode aired on June 28, 2020, on Treehouse TV in Canada, on August 8, 2020 on Boomerang in Australia, on August 30, 2020, on Gulli in France, on September 2, 2020, on Tiny Pop in the United Kingdom and it was released on nc+ GO on-demand service in Poland on September 8, 2020.
The episode then flashes back; with the "hometown cook-offs" segment of the Royal Jelly Juggernaut approaching, Pinkie Pie and her friends work together to make Sugarcube Corner spotless for the camera crew. Rarity arrives wearing a cowboy hat just like Applejack's, having gotten inspiration from her for a new look. Almost instantaneously, Rarity starts a new fashion craze, with the rest of her friends (except Pinkie) also adopting the cowboy hat look, much to Applejack's chagrin.
As the rest of Ponyville gets swept up in this fashion trend, Applejack, having made her signature look with the cowboy hat, starts to feel like she is losing her whole identity. Pinkie Pie suggests that Applejack try on some different hats and find a new look for herself, and Applejack experiments with a flight hat and goggles, a firefighter's helmet, and an astronaut helmet, but none of these looks suit her. She eventually settles on a black beret and leaves.
That evening in the park, Applejack sulks and soliloquizes to herself, drawing the attention of a trio of "alternative ponies" named Derek, Matt, and Matt. These hipster-like ponies take pride in going against trends and enjoying what others consider unpopular and uncool, the current thing being a squishy cube-like object. They invite Applejack to join their group, and she accepts.
Back in present day, Applejack is sitting by herself at Sugarcube Corner and holding one of the alternative ponies' squishy cubes, having no idea what it is or what it does. Rarity notices Applejack is not wearing her signature cowboy hat, and Applejack says she has adopted a new look. Sensing that Applejack is upset, Rarity borrows her squishy cube object and leaves. Meanwhile, Applejack, unhappy with the black beret look, goes back to her cowboy hat look, deciding that it does not define who she is.
The next day, Applejack returns to Sugarcube Corner and discovers everyone has abandoned the cowboy hat look and the squishy cube is now the newest trend thanks to Rarity's influence. The alternative ponies abandon the squishy cube now that it is part of the mainstream, and they invite Applejack along to find a new unpopular thing. Applejack declines their invitation, not wanting to chase popular or unpopular trends, and the alternative ponies leave. As the Mane Six try to figure out what the squishy cubes are and what they do, Pinkie Pie discovers they are a type of food and decides to incorporate them into her sponge cake recipe.
- For more quotes, see the episode's transcript.
- Applejack: This is a love story. About hats.
- Applejack: I feel like my identity has been stolen. [...] I love my hat 'cause it shows who I am on the inside and on the outside. [...] But with everypony wearin' the same hat as me, it's like... I'm not myself.
- Applejack: Fillies and gentlecolts, this is Captain Applejack speakin'.
- Applejack: Now this is more like it! Excitement! Adventure! Heroics!
- Applejack: Who cares about cowpony hats? This new me needs space!
- Applejack: What is life without a hat to wear off into the sunset? A hat to get me through the good times and the bad? That is what makes life worth livin'. That hat was full of adventure and spunk. But this black beret matches the core of who I am now. Dark. Alone. ...French?
- Applejack: This here is a love story. But not all love stories have happy endings.
- Rarity: Do you smell toast? Do you need a smack? How many hooves am I holding up?
- Applejack: I'm a strong, independent pony who isn't defined by her hat or anypony else's. So let 'em wear their hats. And I'll wear mine.
- Applejack: I don't wanna wear teeny tiny tiaras with you. On my flank. I may not need my hat to be myself, but I also don't need to go chasin' trends, mainstream or not.
- Applejack: WE COULD'VE BEEN EATIN' THESE THE WHOLE TIME!
|Equestria Girls||Rainbow Rocks||Friendship Games||Legend of Everfree|
|My Little Pony The Movie||A New Generation|
|Dance Magic||Movie Magic||Mirror Magic||Forgotten Friendship|
|Rollercoaster of Friendship||Best Gift Ever||Spring Breakdown||Rainbow Roadtrip|
|Sunset's Backstage Pass||Holidays Unwrapped|
|Rainbow Rocks shorts||Friendship Games shorts||Summertime Shorts||Equestria Girls: Better Together (season 1)|
|Equestria Girls: Better Together (season 2)||Equestria Girls: Choose Your Own Ending (season 1)||Equestria Girls: Choose Your Own Ending (season 2)||Equestria Girls Minis|
|Baby Flurry Heart's Heartfelt Scrapbook||Rarity's Peek Behind the Boutique||Fundamentals of Magic||My Little Pony Established 1983|
|Friendship is Magic shorts||Hello Pinkie Pie||Stop Motion Shorts|