|Please discuss categorization.[specify]|
| Lightning Dust|
|Occupation||Leader of the Washouts|
Wonderbolts trainee (sometimes)[note 1]
|Eyes|| Brilliant gamboge (usually)|
[specify] (rarely in Super Sub!)
|Mane||¤ Brilliant amber with brilliant gold stripes|
|Nicknames||Li (The Periodic Table of My Little Pony)|
| Cutie mark|
(rarely in S3E7 and Super Sub!)
|Voice||Britt Irvin (English)|
Taru Tikkanen (Finnish)
Nadine Zaddam (German)
Jenny De Cesarei (Italian)
Agnieszka Fajlhauer (Polish, S3E7)
Katarzyna Łaska (Polish, S8E20)
Agatha Paulita (Brazilian Portuguese)
Gabriela Codrea (Romanian)
Larisa Brokhman (Russian, S3E7)
Olga Golovanova (Russian, S8E20)
María Fernanda Morales (Latin American Spanish)
Yuliya Perenchuk (Ukrainian, S3E7)
Alisa Huryeva (Ukrainian, S8E20)
Development and designLightning Dust resembles Indigo Zap in hairstyle, eye color, and goggles, resembles Sassaflash in pony type, color scheme, and lightning-bolt(s)-including cutie mark, resembles Issue 10 Unnamed Mare - Yellow Star in pony type, color scheme, and star-including cutie mark, resembles "Thunder Dust" in pony type and color scheme, resembles "Whoa Nelly" in coat and iris colors and stars-including cutie mark, resembles Unnamed Girl #19 in color scheme, and resembles Sky Stinger in pony type and thunderbolt streak.
According to the My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Friendship Games DVD/Blu-ray audio commentary, Lightning Dust was originally going to appear in film, but she was replaced by Indigo Zap.
On Twitter in mid-December 2015, the day after My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #37 concluded Siege of the Crystal Empire, IDW comics writer Jeremy Whitley was asked, "Was there meant to be more done with Flim, Flam, Iron Will, and Lightning Dust that got cut? They just kinda...disappeared.", and replied, "I'd actually like to do a ff[sic] with LD and IW. I stand by Flim and Flam as unrepentant opportunists".
On Twitter on August 4, 2018, between the magazine[specify] comic Super Sub! and The Washouts, Jim Miller was asked, "is Lightning Dust capable of being reformed into a protagonist", and answered, "I’m sure if that’s a story a writer wanted to tell, we could make it work." On Twitter in mid-September 2018, Nick Confalone was asked, "Now that Lightning Dust has most likely ended up in a full body wing & hoof cast via rocket explosion will The Washouts take safety regulations seriously for future shows now!?😅😋", and answered, "Never! Lightning Dust don't need no 'redemption.' She got a steady gig doing what she loves with adoring fans all over Equestria. Girl's true calling brought her a ragtag rad-rad bunch of friends and teammates. LD = too big a bamf for a kids show to handle so how bout Safety LAST".
Depiction in the seriesIn Wonderbolts Academy, Lightning Dust appears as a cadet at the Wonderbolt Academy who quickly forms a friendship with Rainbow Dash. However, she ignores Rainbow Dash's injury during an academy team exercise and brushes off the fact that her tornado put Rainbow Dash's friends in danger. Her recklessness and utter disregard for the safety of others eventually lead to her being kicked out of the academy and her team leader status being given to Rainbow Dash. The Washouts, Lightning Dust reappears as the leader and founder of the Washouts, a professional stunt team comprised of fellow ex-Wonderbolts. She and her team members do away with many of the Wonderbolts' safety regulations and perform far more death-defying stunts. Lightning Dust briefly recruits Scootaloo into the Washouts, intending to have her perform an extremely dangerous stunt (in spite of her growing protests) but Rainbow Dash intervenes before she gets seriously hurt during her debut. When Lightning Dust's hoof gets caught on a rope attached to Scootaloo's stunt rocket as it takes off into the sky, she is dragged along with it. As she is pulled into the sky, she declares that she and Rainbow Dash are "rivals for life".
In My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #8, Lightning Dust appears on cover A and page 16, in both appearances behind Princess Luna and multiple other characters in Ponyville. On My Little Pony Micro-Series Issue #7 page 19, Lightning Dust appears at the Ponyville Flea Market. She also appears in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #34 being recruited by Radiant Hope to attack the Crystal Empire. During the attack, she antagonizes Rainbow Dash and Rarity with water balloons, but she is eventually captured. King Sombra frees her in Issue #35, and she and the other recruited villains defeat the Mane Six, but she harbors second thoughts about her actions by Issue #36.
In My Little Pony: Deviations, Lightning Dust appears on pages 13-15 fighting against Nightmare Moon in an alternate timeline. She appears in Princess Eris' casino on My Little Pony: Nightmare Knights Issue #1 page 12, Issue #2 page 20, Issue #3 pages 2-3, and Issue #4 page 14.
In the Signature My Little Pony magazine issue 69 comic Daring friends and the missing story!, Lightning Dust appears at the Canterlot Magic Fair. In the[specify] comic Just the ticket!, she gets Songbird Serenade tickets from Ponyville and refuses Rainbow Dash's flying-race challenge at the Crystal Empire. In the[specify] comic Super Sub!, set between Rainbow Dash's promotion to full Wonderbolt and Thunderlane's promotion to full Wonderbolt, she is one of the "new recruits at Wonderbolts Academy" whom Rainbow Dash helps train.
Lightning Dust is an available character in Gameloft's mobile game. She was added to the iOS version of the game on December 9, 2013 and on the Android version on December 17, 2013. Her in-game description states, "Lightning Dust is a Pegasus pony whose cutie mark is a lightning bolt and three stars. She is very competitive, but reckless!"
In Enterplay's trading cards, Lightning Dust is featured on series 2 #30 and appears on series 3 #E59. In the Enterplay collectible card game's expansion sets, Lightning Dust is featured on Canterlot Nights #160 C, Absolute Discord #10 U, Equestrian Odysseys #13 C, and Friends Forever #10 R.
On pages 20-21 of the book Winning Style, "Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust can't wait for the flying competition at the Equestria Games. They work on their speed and agility while flying through the clouds."
In a Signature My Little Pony magazine issue's[specify] Guess who’s coming for dinner?, Lightning Dust—stated to have a Cutie Mark of "a thunderbot[sic] and stars"—is joining Rainbow, Gilda and Tank as "[a]nother flying friend" guest for spaghetti.
The Elements of Harmony Vol. II guidebook
LIGHTING[sic] DUST is a highly competitive flyer and Rainbow Dash's good friend. She flies recklessly, and doesn't always see how her actions will affect other ponies. She might have an even bigger ego about her flying than Rainbow Dash, and was actually removed from her leadership role in the Wonderbolts because of it.
PersonalityLightning Dust is shown to be a vigorous and highly competitive flyer who loves to test her limits. She has strong attitude, speed, and love for flying. However, because of her competitive spirit, she is also very reckless and shows little concern for anyone who becomes a victim of her actions. She also appears to have a bigger ego than Rainbow Dash.
During the comics storyline Siege of the Crystal Empire, Lightning Dust is shown to be deeply resentful of Rainbow Dash, blaming her for getting kicked out of the Academy. She joins Radiant Hope after being offered the chance to prove once and for all that she's better than Rainbow Dash. However, she starts having second thoughts after King Sombra takes over the Crystal Empire, and leaves soon after, unwilling to continue playing a part in the proceedings.
In Just the ticket!, Lightning Dust openly doubts that she would win a flying race against Rainbow Dash.
- "Ma'am, can you put the Dizzitron on maximum speed? I wanna push my limits."
- — To Spitfire, Wonderbolts Academy
- "They should make us Wonderbolts right now."
- — To Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts Academy
- "Hey, you snooze, you lose! Besides, Wonderbolts are supposed to be able to recover from a spinout. You saw them on the Dizzitron. They could use the practice. I mean, it's not our fault we're so much better than those other guys. Not every pony is destined to become a Wonderbolt. Only the best of the best, right?"
- — To Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts Academy
- "Kicking all that tail has made me hungry."
- — Wonderbolts Academy
- "RIVALS FOR LIFE!!"
- — To Rainbow Dash, The Washouts
- "You know, I outraced Rainbow Dash at every turn. I just had the guts to do what needed to be done to win and she cared more about making friends. Why does a Wonderbolt need friends? I should be a Wonderbolt right now and she should be the one sitting here."
- — To Midge, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #34
- "Ha! There’s only one Pegasus that’s even fast enough to get near me!"
- — My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #34
- "You’ll never catch me, Dash!"
- — To Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #34
- "Please, no more."
- — My Little Pony: Nightmare Knights Issue #4
- "There’s no way we'd give you our tickets! And you’ll beat us anyway."
- — To Rainbow Dash, Just the ticket!
- "Neither can I! I’ll never be a Wonderbolt, I’m going to give up training."
- — To "Icy Rain", Super Sub!
- "I was out of control up there. You did what you were supposed to do-- Let somepony know about it."
- — To Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts Academy script
- Lightning Dust on the Collectible Card Game Wiki
- Lightning Dust on the My Little Pony Gameloft Wiki
- Lightning Dust on the Fan Wiki
- ↑ Newly as of S3E7; formerly as of Enterplay collectible card game Equestrian Odysseys #13 C Lightning Dust, Ruthless Racer; newly again as of Super Sub!; formerly again as of The Washouts
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Meghan McCarthy (2012-12-26). Meghan McCarthy on Twitter: "Hey #bronies -- Part of the alt ending of #MLPFIM episode Wonderbolt Academy Screen grab of script so hope it works http://t.co/IGmOFQey". Twitter. Retrieved on 2012 December 26. Archived locally.
- ↑ Jeremy Whitley (2015-12-17). Jeremy Whitley on Twitter: "@Godzillawolf1 I'd actually like to do a ff with LD and IW. I stand by Flim and Flam as unrepentant opportunists". Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 December 25.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2018-08-04). Big Jim on Twitter: "I’m sure if that’s a story a writer wanted to tell, we could make it work.… ". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 August 5.
- ↑ Nick Confalone (2018-09-12). Nick Confalone on Twitter: "Never! Lightning Dust don't need no "redemption." She got a steady gig doing what she loves with adoring fans all over Equestria. Girl's true calling brought her a ragtag rad-rad bunch of friends and teammates. LD = too big a bamf for a kids show to handle so how bout Safety LAST… https://t.co/wI81iQQghh". Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 September 12.
- ↑ MLP Comic - English. Imgur (2017-03-23). Retrieved on 2017 May 27.
- ↑ ASM's Toy Fair 2014 Gallery/hasbro/my-little-pony/IMG_0465. Retrieved on 2014 February 24.
- ↑ My Little Pony Winning Style: Stories, Activites, and Tattoos. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 2013 October 21.
- ↑ My Little Pony by Amy Mebberson. Acidfree Gallery (2014-07-03). Retrieved on 2014 July 6.
- ↑ 2eac5d_6e711ead29a246628dd67fc5b21ff7f4~mv2_d_4961_3508_s_4_2.jpg. Wix (2017-03-24). Retrieved on 2018 May 30.