|Make New Friends but Keep Discord|
|Season episode №:||7|
|Overall episode №:||98|
|Original airdate:||May 16, 2015|
|Written by:||Natasha Levinger|
|Storyboard:||Nicole Wang and Sabrina Alberghetti|
|credits • transcript • gallery • allusions|
animation errors • statistics • speculation
Appleoosa's Most Wanted
The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone
Make New Friends but Keep Discord (spelled as Make New Friends But Keep Discord by some sources) is the seventh episode of the fifth season of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and the ninety-eighth episode overall. The title is a play on the phrase "make new friends but keep the old."
Production and development
The script was approved and locked on April 10 and 16, respectively, of 2014.
To a fan at Dallas Comic Con in mid-May 2014, John de Lancie "told that on Thursday he had been recording for an episode of mlp[sic] and that he and fluttershy[sic] were talking and Fluttershy asks if she can bring another friend to their next get together and then Discord gets super jealous."
The dresses were a collaborative effort by Rebecca Dart, Kora Kosicka, Fernanda Ribeiro, and Charmaine Verhagen. Discord's home was designed by Phil Caesar. The puppet was built and performed by Jayson Thiessen while the background was drawn and filmed by Jim Miller.
Tuesday tea time
At Fluttershy's cottage, Fluttershy and Discord enjoy an afternoon of tea and funny stories. Fluttershy looks forward to introducing him to her new friend Tree Hugger—the mention of whom Discord becomes visibly bothered by—as well as the upcoming Grand Galloping Gala. When she mentions the Gala, Discord assumes that she is inviting him as her plus-one, but Fluttershy says she already invited Tree Hugger.
Discord is upset by this news, having not received a ticket to the Gala himself, but he plays it off as he leaves the cottage.
No Gala for Discord
Discord goes to the Castle of Friendship looking for Twilight Sparkle—frightening Spike in the process—but learns that she's away in Canterlot. At Carousel Boutique, Rarity makes Gala dresses for Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, who Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash have respectively invited as their plus-ones. Discord arrives looking for someone to go to the Gala with, but to no avail.
At Sugarcube Corner, Discord learns that Pinkie Pie is going to the Gala with her sister Maud. Down the street, he notices Fluttershy walking with Tree Hugger and goes to introduce himself. Jealous of Fluttershy's new friend, he quickly excuses himself to leave.
In another, bizarre dimension, Discord returns home to keep himself occupied as he vents his frustrations. Outside, a hapless mailpony floats through with a delivery for Discord: a ticket to the Gala that arrived late because the mailpony got lost along the way. Discord is thrilled that he was invited to the Gala after all and wonders who to bring as his guest.
A Smoozy affair
As the Gala gets underway, Princess Celestia thanks Twilight for helping with the Gala planning and preparations. The sound of a trumpet announces the arrival of Discord and his guest: a green, slimy creature called the Smooze. Its appearance—and appetite for shiny objects—startles several of the other Gala guests. Twilight pulls Discord aside and warns him to keep the Smooze under control.
Seeing Fluttershy and Tree Hugger at a ballroom table, Discord interrupts their conversation in an attempt to irritate Tree Hugger, but his attempt fails due to her mellow demeanor. So focused on making Fluttershy jealous, Discord is unable to keep the Smooze from causing havoc around the Gala; as it eats jewels off of Rarity and other guests' dresses, the Smooze slowly grows in size. Discord eventually ditches the Smooze by locking it inside a room, unaware that the room holds a large collection of jewels and shiny valuables.
More than one friend
Discord continues trying to get Fluttershy's attention by doing a stand-up comedy routine, but it is poorly received. Before long, the Smooze, now of immense size, escapes the room he was locked in and covers the Gala floor in slime. The other guests break into a panic, and Twilight and Celestia are unable to bring the situation under control with their magic.
Tree Hugger reasons that the Smooze's "senses are agitated" and manages to calm him down with soft vocalizing. The Smooze releases the ponies from its slime, and the ponies cheer for Tree Hugger. Fed up, Discord rips open a portal to another dimension, intending to banish Tree Hugger there, but Fluttershy angrily tells him to stop. Discord accuses Fluttershy of abandoning him in favor of Tree Hugger, but Fluttershy argues that just because she didn't invite him to the Gala doesn't mean they aren't friends and that one can have different friends for different reasons.
Discord takes this lesson to heart, returning the Smooze to normal size and apologizing to Tree Hugger for his actions.
As the Gala gets back to normal, Discord also apologizes to the Smooze for ignoring it all evening, and Pinkie Pie invites the Smooze to dance. Twilight apologizes to Princess Celestia as well for the almost ruined Gala, but Celestia is in good spirits, revealing that she invited Discord to liven the Gala up. She joyfully leads Twilight onto the dance floor and says the night is still young.
- For more quotes, see the episode's transcript.
- Discord: Ohoho, but that's not all! When I went to look for them again, they were on the ceiling!
- Fluttershy: [laughs] Oh, Discord, I've never known anypony as funny as you! I love that story about the time you tried to train your right paw... [giggles] ...to fetch your left leg! [giggles]
- Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle: [singsong] We're going to the Gala! We're going to the Gala! We're going to the Gala!
- Applejack: Alright, y'all, keep it down. It ain't like it's a life-changin' experience or nothiiiiing... [tearing up] My little sister's all grown up! [sniffs] [blows nose]
- Discord: I am famished. I'll take all the cakes.
- Pinkie Pie: All of them?! He wants all of the cakes!
- Fluttershy: Tree Hugger, this is Discord. Discord, Tree Hugger.
- Tree Hugger: Radical to meet you. Really digging your vibe.
- Discord: My vibe?
- Tree Hugger: Righteous!
- Discord: It's not as if any of this actually mattered! I don't even want to go to the Gala anyway!
- Announcer: Announcing the spirit of chaos, Discord, and his guest, the, uh...
- Discord: [unintelligible whispering]
- Announcer: The Smooze!
- Twilight Sparkle: [hushed] What are you doing here with... that?!
- Discord: Now, now, now. The Smooze may be an "it", but it's an it with a heart of, well, blob.
- Tree Hugger: Nice to meet you. I'm Tree Hugger. Blessings.
- Discord: You have met me before actually! [snorts]
- Tree Hugger: Cool! Like, in another life, maybe?
- Discord: I've only got these tiny mismatched wings, and even I can fly better than Twilight Sparkle! Am I right? Pchoo!
- Twilight Sparkle: Hey!
- Princess Celestia: [giggles]
- Twilight Sparkle: What is he doing?!
- Rainbow Dash: I think they're... jokes?
- Pinkie Pie: Maud! Jokes!
- Maud Pie: [deadpan] My favorite.
- Discord: Knock knock!
- Discord: You're supposed to say 'Who's there?'! This is the most basic of jokes!
- [thud, splat]
- Maud Pie: [deadpan] You're the most basic of jokes.
- Pinkie Pie: Good one, Maud! [giggles]
- Fluttershy: What if you had a friend that you could discuss chaos-based magic with? Would that mean we weren't friends anymore?!
- Discord: Uh... [stuttering] No, I suppose not. It would just mean that I'd have different friends for different things...
- Discord: Well, friends! I think I may actually grow to like this multiple-friend thing.
- Maud Pie: I like it too.
- Pinkie Pie: Hey, it's not a party until somepony spreads magic-resistant ooze uncontrollably over the ballroom! [squee] Come on, Smoozinator! Let's dance!
- Twilight Sparkle: I'm sorry, Princess Celestia. I thought I could give you a break tonight, but it turns out I was in over my head.
- Princess Celestia: You have nothing to apologize for. This has been the most fun Gala in years!
- Twilight Sparkle: I know, it was a—What?! But there was ooze all over the place! And one of the guests threatened to send somepony to another dimension!
- Princess Celestia: I know! Can you imagine how dull it would have been if I hadn't invited Discord? Come on! Whoo! The night is still young!
- Gillian M. Berrow (2015-07-06). G.M. Berrow on Twitter: "@SILVICULTRlX @M_A_Larson I'll settle this once & for all-- script was locked on 4/16/14. Far before your tweets. http://t.co/LT30S1BcMi". Twitter. Retrieved on 2016 April 28.
- 20150216_113737.jpg (2015-02-16). Retrieved on 2015 February 16. Archived.
- 20150216_113746.jpg (2015-02-16). Retrieved on 2015 February 16. Archived.
- Jim Miller (2015-05-16). @buttonspony @Dusty_Kat Give the credit to our design team. @R_Dart @kkosicka @charmainevee @fe_rib. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 May 16.
- Jim Miller (2015-05-16). @AnthonyPizzano Our BG designer Phil Caesar did all the heavy lifting there.. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 May 16.
- Jim Miller (2015-05-16). Puppet built and performed by @goldenrusset, BG drawn and filmed by me. In @goldenrusset's mother in law's bedroom. #MLP5 #dedication. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 May 16.
- My Little Pony US Entertainment | Season 5 Teaser. YouTube (2015-03-05). Retrieved on 2015 March 7.
- So many new characters are joining the ponyverse.... Facebook (2015-03-18). Retrieved on 2015 April 22.
- Megan Daley (2015-03-05). Watch the trailer for the latest season of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 2015 March 5.
- Jayson Thiessen (2015-04-18). Jayson Thiessen on Twitter: "@Blue5Girl 01:22:13:16". Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 April 20.
|Equestria Girls||Rainbow Rocks||Friendship Games||Legend of Everfree|
|My Little Pony The Movie||A New Generation|
|Dance Magic||Movie Magic||Mirror Magic||Forgotten Friendship|
|Rollercoaster of Friendship||Best Gift Ever||Spring Breakdown||Rainbow Roadtrip|
|Sunset's Backstage Pass||Holidays Unwrapped|
|Rainbow Rocks shorts||Friendship Games shorts||Summertime Shorts||Equestria Girls: Better Together (season 1)|
|Equestria Girls: Better Together (season 2)||Equestria Girls: Choose Your Own Ending (season 1)||Equestria Girls: Choose Your Own Ending (season 2)||Equestria Girls Minis|
|Baby Flurry Heart's Heartfelt Scrapbook||Rarity's Peek Behind the Boutique||Fundamentals of Magic||My Little Pony Established 1983|
|Friendship is Magic shorts||Hello Pinkie Pie||Stop Motion Shorts|