- The correct title of this issue is "My Little Pony/Transformers II Issue 4". Due to technical limitations, the slash is removed from the article title.
|My Little Pony/Transformers II #4|
|Published:||July 21, 2021|
|Writer:||Ian Flynn (pp. 1-10)|
James Asmus (pp. 11-20)
|Artist:||Casey W. Coller (pp. 1-10)|
Jack Lawrence (pp. 11-20)
|Colorist:||Joana Lafuente (pp. 1-10)|
Luis Antonio Delgado (pp. 11-20)
|Letterer:||Jake M. Wood (pp. 1-10)|
Neil Uyetake (pp. 11-20)
|Credits • Gallery • Allusions|
My Little Pony/Transformers II #3
My Little Pony/Transformers II #4 is the fourth and final issue of IDW Publishing's crossover comic miniseries My Little Pony/Transformers: The Magic of Cybertron. In the issue, Spike, Smolder, and the Dinobots are attacked by King Sombra's minions, and the final battle for the fate of Cybertron begins.
The Mightiest Dinobot
Spike introduces Smolder to Grimlock (whom Spike befriended in the previous crossover) and the other Dinobots Slag, Swoop, Sludge, and Snarl. Smolder's confidence, flying power, and fire breath immediately impresses the Dinobots, but despite Grimlock's attempts to help, Spike fails to make much of an impression. All of a sudden, the colossal, King Sombra-controlled Autobot combiner Superion appears to attack the group.
As Smolder carries Spike to safety, the Dinobots fight back against Superion, but his power greatly exceeds theirs. Smolder attempts to help out by blasting Superion with her fire breath, but he quickly swats her away. Using his acquired research on the Autobots, Spike notes that combiners usually have a hard time staying together and theorizes that Sombra's mind control is suppressing the individual personalities of Superion's components in order to keep him focused.
With Smolder's assistance, Spike flies around Superion and taunts each of the individual Autobots that make up the giant combiner. Superion's mind is unable to maintain itself in the face of Spike's taunting, causing Sombra's mind control to weaken. The giant robot splits apart into the five Aerialbots Silverbolt, Slingshot, Air Raid, Skydive, and Fireflight, and Sombra's spell is broken.
Grimlock tells the other Dinobots that Spike's knowledge and ingenuity are what make him an incredible warrior, and he proudly welcomes Spike into the fold as an "honorary Dinobot".
Optimus Prime and several Autobots track King Sombra and his minions to a remote, abandoned part of Cybertron, where the mind-controlled horde is excavating something out of the ground. Optimus contacts the rest of the Autobots requesting reinforcements, but they will not arrive until Ratchet and Wheeljack's secret weapon is finished. Realizing the threat of what Sombra's forces are digging up, Optimus orders the Autobots to roll out immediately and stop them.
As the two sides do battle, Elita One realizes what Sombra's minions are digging up. Sombra slips past Optimus's forces and heads underground to reawaken the sleeping Titan Scorponok. With Sombra's magic coursing through Scorponok's powerful empty shell, "King Sombranok" intends to raise an army large enough to conquer both Cybertron and Equestria.
Just then, reinforcements arrive; ponies, Autobots, and Decepticons fly into battle together—with Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, and Spike wearing mechanical exo-suits. These suits, a fusion of Equestrian magic and Cybertronian technology, not only allow the ponies to transform into weapons for their Transformer allies to wield, but they also channel the wielders' emotions into their attacks to break Sombra's mind control. With this secret weapon, Optimus's forces turn the tide of the battle and free their enslaved friends, including Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, and Megatron.
As Twilight, Fluttershy, and Pinkie are outfitted with additional exo-suits, Sombra takes complete control of Scorponok but has difficulty activating its weapons. Optimus and Megatron—wielding Twilight and Pinkie as weapons—team up against Sombra and overload Scorponok's systems, causing the Titan to explode. Sombra is rendered unconscious, his mind control is completely broken, and the battle is won. In the wake of this victory, Megatron agrees to a temporary ceasefire against the Autobots, but he chases off Starscream for attempting to destroy him during the battle.
Some time later, the ponies use the spacebridge to transport the restrained Sombra back to Equestria. Megatron vows not to attack the ponies' world again, conceding that Equestrian magic does not fit the Decepticons' vision for Cybertron. He also concedes that if his fellow Cybertronians should seek an alliance with Equestria, he will not stand in their way. As the ponies and Transformers exchange goodbyes, a third party observes them from afar: a Quintesson...
The Mightiest Dinobot
- Spike: This is my friend Smolder! She's super cool!
- Grimlock: As cool as Friend-Spike?
- Smolder: *ahem* I'm the heights-flying, fire-spittin'-est, take-no-guff-est dragon of them all!
- Grimlock: Do you not see wings? Friend-Spike can fly, too!
- Spike: I'm... still learning, to be honest.
- Grimlock: Him learning to fly! Him dragon! Breath fire, too!
- Spike: M-Mostly to send correspondence...
- Grimlock: Telecomm fire! Him do other things!
- Spike: N-No, that's about it.
- Grimlock: ...Friend-Spike, help Grimlock out here.
- Grimlock: Dinobots! Transform... and rampage!
- Superion: I'd make an "extinction" joke... but it's as far beneath me as you are.
- Spike: Superion is five Autobots put together. Think about the last time you and your friends tried to agree on pizza toppings, then make it way more complicated.
- Smolder: Yona and Sandbar are still arguing about the pineapple.
- Grimlock: Dinobots see now? This is why Friend-Spike is incredible warrior! Him defeat mighty threat and evil magic with just his tiny words!
- Spike: Aw, c'mon... You make it sound like it was a big deal...
- Smolder: You saved all our lives, you goof. It is a big deal.
- Grimlock: Friend-Spike is hero! Friend-Spike honorary Dinobot now!
- Optimus Prime: We'll just have to take that pony by the horn ourselves. Autobots--roll out!
- Elita One: Scorponok!
- King Sombra: Please. In this new form, and as the soon-to-be ruler of both Cybertron and Equestria, you may call me--KING SOMBRANOK!
- Rainbow Dash: Bet I can put more dents in that tin can than you, Screamy.
- Starscream: Challenge accepted, pony!
- Arcee: Time to pony up and kick some tail! Do, uh, you all say stuff like that?
- Applejack: Not really. But I appreciate the sentiment!
- Twilight Sparkle: R-Rarity? Whoa... How long was I out?
- Rarity: About twenty minutes. But I've noticed that things often escalate that quickly for us.
- Starscream: If anyone gets to blast Megatron--it's going to be me!
- Pinkie Pie: Will I be able to turn into a rubber chicken?!
- Wheeljack: No.
- Pinkie Pie: A cream pie?!
- Wheeljack: No.
- Pinkie Pie: A giant banana peel?!
- Wheeljack: Do you know anything about machines?
- Pinkie Pie: No!
- Megatron: You really believe we can stop this with the power of... friendship?
- Optimus Prime: We were friends once, Megatron. And even after all our battles... this one day of fighting side-by-side rekindles my hope that we may someday be again...
- Optimus Prime: [to King Sombra] If your weakness was the ponies combining their power with friends--you shouldn't pick a fight where they've made a lot more.
- Megatron: As an old friend of mine often says--"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." And today you fought for my freedom. What monster would I be if I didn't assure you yours?
- Starscream: I'll get you for this, my little ponies! And your little dragon, too!
- Twilight Sparkle: I do hope this means you Decepticons won't target us again?
- Megatron: Fear not... Princess. Our vision for Cybertron is order. I see now that magic is... disruptive.
- Twilight Sparkle: Well, our vision is always to build bridges and friendships. So... instead of accidental and terrorizing meet-ups, maybe some time we should do it on purpose.
- Rainbow Dash: Ooh! We could have competitions!
- Frenzy: A swap meet?
- Rarity: A cultural exchange!
- Megatron: Not exactly my cup of energon. But... I wouldn't stand in the way if others wish to.
- Quintesson: Those little "ponies"... Such compelling creatures... So different... So powerful... So... innocent.