|Season episode №:||15|
|Overall episode №:||106|
|Original airdate:||September 19, 2015|
|Story by:||Meghan McCarthy, M. A. Larson, Joanna Lewis & Kristine Songco|
|Written by:||Joanna Lewis & Kristine Songco|
|Storyboard:||Nicole Wang and Sabrina Alberghetti|
|Featured characters:|| Wind Rider|
| credits • transcript • gallery • allusions|
animation errors • statistics • speculation
Made in Manehattan
Production and development
M.A. Larson attributes his story credit to writing an episode for the show called "The Rainbow Confession" which was ultimately turned into this episode. It was to have been more of a parody of Legally Blonde with Rarity in the Elle Woods role.
Rainbow Dash's opportunityRarity visits Sassy Saddles at Canterlot Carousel to show off her new line of "femme mystique chic" clothing inspired by literary detective Shadow Spade.
Rainbow Dash enters the boutique and, after briefly toppling all the dress stands, mentions that she will be attending Princess Celestia's royal garden opening the next day. The Wonderbolts will be giving an aerial performance at the opening, and Rainbow Dash, being a member of the Wonderbolts Reserve, is a backup flyer in case one of the Wonderbolts cannot perform. In addition, both she and Rarity are attending a royal dinner at the castle that evening, where Rainbow is excited to hang out with the Wonderbolts personally.
Dinner in CanterlotThat night, at the castle dinner, Rarity and Rainbow Dash meet retired Wonderbolt veteran Wind Rider. Rarity picks up on his particular scent of cologne, and Rainbow Dash is starstruck to meet such a decorated flyer. When Spitfire approaches and praises Rainbow Dash's flying, mentioning that she could eventually beat Wind Rider's long-distance speed record, Wind Rider suddenly excuses himself.
Rainbow Dash is disappointed that she might not be able to perform with her heroes, but Rarity offers to watch the performance with her. Later on, Rainbow retires to her suite in the castle's east tower.
Rainbow Dash is accusedThe next day, the Wonderbolts practice for their aerial performance, but Spitfire has been unexpectedly called away by a note sent from her sick mother. Soarin offers Rainbow Dash to take Spitfire's place, and Rainbow eagerly accepts. As Rarity watches, Spitfire's mother Stormy Flare appears to watch as well, perfectly healthy. She reveals to Rarity that she never sent a note to Spitfire.
This causes confusion among the Wonderbolts until Wind Rider suggests someone sent Spitfire a fake note to remove her from the performance, causing all suspicion to fall upon Rainbow Dash. Though Rainbow is open about her desire to fly with Wind Rider, she pleads innocence. After a brief discussion, Soarin gives Rainbow a chance to prove her innocence, but if she cannot, she will be kicked out of the Wonderbolts.
Inspired by the literary works of Shadow Spade, "Detective Rarity" steps in to investigate the crime.
Detective RarityIn a black-and-white parody of 1940s film noir, Rarity and Rainbow Dash inspect Spitfire's castle suite. Rarity discovers a piece of Rainbow's mane on the envelope that the note was sent in, and she finds that some of the corridor curtains have been moved.
Reasoning that whoever delivered the note to Spitfire had to have passed the royal guards on duty, Rarity and Rainbow Dash interrogate them. After some pressing—and through Rarity's feminine charms—the guards eventually admit that they took a short break when someone left them a very specialized cake. Rarity and Rainbow track the cake's origin to a Canterlot cake shop. The owner Cinnamon Chai tells Rarity that whoever purchased the cake had concealed their identity, except for having a deep, raspy voice and wearing a scarf that got stained in chocolate.
Rainbow Dash becomes increasingly worried when all the clues point to her and frustrated by Rarity's constant diversions to talk about fashion, but Rarity is confident her investigation is leading them toward the true culprit.
The culprit revealedBack at the performance grounds, the Wonderbolts have yet to locate Spitfire. When Rarity and Rainbow Dash return, Rarity accuses Wind Rider of framing Rainbow for Spitfire's disappearance. Rarity's accusation appalls Rainbow, but Rarity explains her case:
- The hairs they found on the envelope in Spitfire's suite did not fall out naturally—they were cut off since it was in a chunk.
- The envelope itself gave off the same scent as Wind Rider's cologne.
- The castle corridor curtains were unfurled, indicating somepony was hiding behind them.
- Most incriminating of all, Rarity undoes Wind Rider's tightly-wound scarf and discovers a chocolate stain on it.
The episode ends with the Wonderbolts giving their aerial performance while Rarity and Stormy Flare watch from the stands.
- For more quotes, see the episode's transcript.
- Rarity: Oh Sassy Saddles, don't you just love my new Femme Mystique Chic line of gowns?
- Sassy Saddles: [gasps] Sequins and sashes, Rarity, they're exquisite! Where in Equestria did you find the inspiration?
- Rarity: Oh, I modeled them after the adventures of Shadow Spade. Her stories are always full of mystery, suspense, and best of all, fabulous costumes!
- Rainbow Dash: [hushed] Rarity! Don't you know who this is?!
- Rarity: A gentlepony with fabulous taste in colognes and scarves?
- Rainbow Dash: I won't let you down, Soarin! [squeals] This is the best thing ever! Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! [sing-song] I'm gonna get to fly with Wind Rider and the Wonderbolts, 'cause I'm the bestest and I'm awesome and they know it! [continues under] Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh...
- Soarin: Uh... Rainbow Dash?
- Rarity: [hushed] Shh! Let her have this, darling.
- Rainbow Dash: I was asleep at midnight... having this totally amazing dream. There I was at the arena flying with Wind Rider and the Wonderbolts, like I've always wanted to—
- [camera flashes]
- Rainbow Dash: —ah, eh, never mind. Not helping.
- Rainbow Dash: But how am I gonna prove I didn't send a letter that I didn't send?!
- Rarity: With me! Detective Rarity is on the case, and we are going to get to the bottom of this faster than my costume change!
- Rarity: [narrating] Rainbow Dash was getting antsy, but I had faith I could clear her name and find the real culprit.
- Rainbow Dash: What are you doing?
- Rarity: [stammers] Uh, just thinking thoughts. [narrating] Rainbow Dash was right. In order to solve the mystery, we had to be focused. Driven. One hundred percent in the— [normally] Ooh! The damask pattern on these curtains is exquisite! Oh, and this velvet rope-holder – oh, it's just—
- Rainbow Dash: We don't have time to look at the décor!
- Rarity: [narrating] Rainbow Dash was questioning my methods. But I knew what I was doing.
- Rainbow Dash: Do you?
- Rarity: Oh, oh, oh. Did I say that one out loud?
- Wind Rider: Ah, fine! You caught me! I did it!
- Rainbow Dash: But why, Wind Rider?! Was it because I took the last broccoli at the dinner and you really, really wanted it?
- Soarin: So, would you like to fly with us?
- Rainbow Dash: Would I?! Woo-hoo! Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah, uh-huh, uh-huh, yeah, aww yeah...
- Soarin: Uh, Rainbow Dash?
- Rainbow Dash: [embarrassed noise] Coming!
- Rarity: [narrating] So my friend got her moment in the sun. Or the center of an aerial flower, as the case may be. And as for me? I got a chance to show off my Femme Mystique Chic collection!
- Stormy Flare: That's nice, dear.
- Rarity: Oh, did I say that out loud?
- ↑ Jim Miller (2015-09-19). Fun Fact: @Wm_K_Anderson played the trumpet himself for the score he wrote! #MLP5. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 September 19.
- ↑ Jim Miller (2015-09-19). Slick design on Wind Rider from @R_Dart, @kkosicka, @charmainevee & @fe_rib! #MLP5. Twitter. Retrieved on 2015 September 22.
- ↑ Cereal Velocity (2016-03-29). Equestria Daily Interviews M.A. Larson. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2016 March 29.
| Episode 1|
| Episode 2|
The Best of the Worst
| Episode 3|
| Episode 4|
How Applejack Got Her Hat Back
| Episode 5|
Bad Thing No. 3
| Episode 6|
Pinkie Pie: Hyper-Helper
| Episode 7|
The Trail Less Trotten
Death of a Sales-Pony
| Episode 8|
The Fluttershy Effect
| Episode 9|
The Fast and the Furriest
| Episode 10|
Badge of Shame
| Episode 11|
A Camping We Will Go
| Episode 12|
| Episode 13|
| Episode 14|
Meet Potion Nova!
Pony Surfin' Safari
| Episode 15|
All Bottled Up
All That Jitters
| Episode 16|
| Episode 17|
Ponies of the Moment
One Click Wonder
| Episode 18|
| Episode 19|
Don't Look a GIF Horse in the Mouth
The Root of It
| Episode 20|
The Mysterious Voice
The 5 Habits of Highly Effective Ponies
| Episode 21|
Director Spike's Mockumentary
| Episode 22|
| Episode 23|
Pie vs. Pie
| Episode 24|
The Debut Taunt
| Episode 25|
The Rarity Report
The Great Divide
| Episode 26|
The Great Collide
Sportacular Spectacular Musical Musak-ular
|Equestria Girls||Rainbow Rocks||Friendship Games||Legend of Everfree|
|My Little Pony The Movie|
|Dance Magic||Movie Magic||Mirror Magic||Forgotten Friendship|
|Rollercoaster of Friendship||Best Gift Ever||Spring Breakdown||Rainbow Roadtrip|
|Sunset's Backstage Pass||Holidays Unwrapped|
|Rainbow Rocks shorts||Friendship Games shorts||Summertime Shorts||Equestria Girls: Better Together (season 1)|
|Equestria Girls: Better Together (season 2)||Equestria Girls: Choose Your Own Ending (season 1)||Equestria Girls: Choose Your Own Ending (season 2)||Equestria Girls Minis|
|Baby Flurry Heart's Heartfelt Scrapbook||Rarity's Peek Behind the Boutique||Fundamentals of Magic||My Little Pony Established 1983|
|Friendship is Magic shorts||Hello Pinkie Pie||Stop Motion Shorts|