|The Mysterious Mare Do Well|
|Season episode №:||8|
|Overall episode №:||34|
|Original airdate:||November 26, 2011|
|Written by:||Merriwether Williams|
|Storyboard:||Sabrina Alberghetti & Nicole Wang|
| credits • transcript • gallery • allusions|
animation errors • statistics • speculation
May the Best Pet Win!
Sweet and Elite
Production and reuse of assets
In multiple shots, there are hats with Rainbow Dash's old concept cutie mark on the front. This is also seen over some ponies' cutie marks, in a sticker form, and on Rainbow Dash herself in one shot during the construction scene.
Official Rainbow Dash Fan ClubThe episode begins with Scootaloo heading the Rainbow Dash fan club in the Cutie Mark Crusaders' treehouse. She declares that Rainbow Dash should be declared the most awesome pony in Ponyville. Snails and Snips join in the discussion with their opinion of the best way to describe Rainbow Dash. A voice suggests Rainbow Dash is super-ultra-extreme-awesomazing, which the club agrees is right. The voice is revealed to be Rainbow Dash listening to the club outside.
Rainbow Dash saves the day
- "Never fear, your friendly neighborhood Rainbow Dash is here!"
- — Rainbow Dash
Who is the best hero?
- "That's right! Ponyville has a new hero. A mysterious mare that has done well by our fair city today. I dub this new masked hero 'The Mysterious Mare Do Well'!"
- — Mayor Mare
Rainbow decides that she has to convince the ponies in Ponyville that she is still heroic and awesome. However, when she finds that there isn't anyone who needs saving, she ends up doing menial tasks like opening a jar of peanut butter and mowing a lawn in hope that ponies may praise her, but instead the townsponies roll their eyes and shrug her off as lame, leaving her even unhappier than before.
Rainbow goes off to brood on a thundercloud, wondering why the folk doesn't like her anymore and why she's all alone. When she hears her name called by Scootaloo, Rainbow assumes she's apologizing for forgetting about her, but Scootaloo tells her she's just inviting her to a thank you parade for Mare Do Well. At first Rainbow refuses, saying she wants to be alone, but then she hatches a plan to unmask Mare Do Well and decides to go.
Unmasking the Mysterious Mare Do WellAt the parade, when Mare Do Well appears, Rainbow comes up onto the stage and tries to get her to take off her mask. Mare Do Well runs away, but Rainbow gives chase. Mare Do Well keeps appearing in different places, too fast for Rainbow Dash. After a bit of chasing, Rainbow pins her down and pulls off her mask to see none other than Pinkie Pie. Astonished, she begins stammering. Then two more Mare Do Wells appear and pull off their masks, revealing themselves to be Twilight Sparkle and Applejack. They explain that they wanted Rainbow Dash to stop boasting so much and come off her high horse. Applejack stopped the runaway bus with her powerful legs, Pinkie used her Pinkie Sense to avoid the falling obstacles at the building site, Twilight used her magic to fix the dam, Fluttershy did the flyby, and Rarity designed the costumes.
Rainbow Dash understands that she should act with grace and humility and not with selfish arrogance so as to avoid losing the appreciation of the townsponies as well as causing a rift of jealousy between herself and her friends. She also learns that, while it's okay to be proud of your accomplishments, you should never brag about them. The episode ends with her holding a quill to write a letter to Princess Celestia and giving the audience a wink.
Superhero themeThe episode's lead storyboard artist, Sabrina Alberghetti, commented on how the crew incorporated "one [superhero] cliché after another" in a "fun tongue-in-cheek kind of way." Among them:
- Rainbow Dash's catchphrase, "never fear, your friendly neighborhood Rainbow Dash is here!" is a play on both "your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man," and "There’s no need to fear, Underdog is here!"
- The Mysterious Mare Do Well shares the same purple-and-black color scheme and wide-brim hat and black ribbon as Darkwing Duck. Sabrina Alberghetti had worked on Darkwing Duck comics before, however she did not design the character.
- The Mysterious Mare Do Well shares several elements with DC Comics' super-heroine The Spoiler, a supporting character of Batman. The Spoiler was the alter ego of Stephanie Brown, the daughter of a fame seeking, narcissistic super-villain named Cluemaster. Her costume was also a mauve body suite, with a purple mask. She became The Spoiler as a means of punishing her father by "spoiling" his every criminal plans.
- Pinkie Pie's Pinkie Sense, which enables her to detect potential danger, parodies Spider-Man's ESP superpower, the spider sense.
- The fanfare, accompanying music, and rally posters of the Mare Do Well strongly resemble the same from Batman: The Animated Series (reruns of which have aired on The Hub, the same channel that aired My Little Pony Friendship is Magic before season five). Also, the girls all playing Mare Do Well are a nod to the animated movie Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, in which the Batwoman persona is a super alter-ego shared by three different women, each with different skill sets and fighting moves.
- For more quotes, see the episode's transcript.
- Scootaloo: I motion that Rainbow Dash be declared the most awesome pony in Ponyville.
- Snails: I second the motion, and might I add that if you looked up the word 'awesome' in the dictionary, there would be a picture of Rainbow Dash.
- Rainbow Dash: What about super-ultra-extreme-awesomazing?
- Rainbow Dash: Looks like my sky swim will have to wait!
- Rainbow Dash: Never fear, your friendly neighborhood Rainbow Dash is here!
- Twilight Sparkle: Call me silly, but this whole hero thing might be going to Rainbow Dash's head.
- Pinkie Pie: You may be right, silly.
- Rainbow Dash: Danger's my middle name. Rainbow 'Danger' Dash.
- Rainbow Dash: Hey Applejack, how'd you like to be immortalized as my friend?
- Applejack: Immorta--what?
- Twilight Sparkle: Are you taking notes?
- Spike: Yup! I've been hoof-picked by Rainbow Dash herself, to write her autobiography!
- Twilight Sparkle: Umm, autobiographies are supposed to be written by the pony they are about.
- Rainbow Dash: Maybe for your normal, run-of-the-mill ponies. But I'm far too busy saving lives to stop and write. That's why I hired Spike as my ghost writer.
- Pinkie Pie: Ahhh! Spike's a ghost!
- Rainbow Dash: Never fear, your friendly neighborhood Rainbow -
- Globe Trotter: Excuse me, do you think you could skip your catchphrase and just hurry up and save us?
- Rainbow Dash: Ugh...fine.
- Rainbow Dash: Oh, for the love of pete.
- Spike: She's... great.
- Rainbow Dash: I didn't say that.
- Twilight Sparkle: Sounds like somepony's jealous.
- Rainbow Dash: Who, me?
- Spike: Rainbow Dash is jealous.
- Rainbow Dash: Don't write that, Spike!
- [others laughing]
- Spike: Correction: Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
- Rainbow Dash: Where is an out-of-control vehicle when you need one?!
- Rainbow Dash: How would you describe what I just did? Would you say I was amazing?
- Amethyst Star: Aren't you milking this a bit?
- Applejack: I stopped the carriage bus with these babies. Bucky McGillicuddy and Kicks McGee.
- Fluttershy: Ooh, ooh! And I did the flyby afterwards.
- Rarity: I made the costumes. Fabulous if I do say so myself!
- Twilight Sparkle: Celebrating your accomplishments is natural. But...
- Applejack: ...Rubbin' them in everypony's face is not.
- Pinkie Pie: Yeah, the only thing that should be rubbed in anypony's face is chocolate cake.
- ↑ Raven Molisee's DeviantArt journal (2012-02-23). Retrieved on 2012 February 23.
- ↑ Alberghetti comments on the The Mysterious Mare Do Well's "[superhero] clichés" on her deviantArt page. Retrieved on 2011 December 1.
- ↑ Alberghetti comments on "Darkwing Pony" on her deviantArt page. Retrieved on 2011 November 28.
| Episode 1|
| Episode 2|
The Best of the Worst
| Episode 3|
| Episode 4|
How Applejack Got Her Hat Back
| Episode 5|
Bad Thing No. 3
| Episode 6|
Pinkie Pie: Hyper-Helper
| Episode 7|
The Trial Less Trotten
Death of a Sales-Pony
| Episode 8|
The Fluttershy Effect
| Episode 9|
The Fast and Furriest
| Episode 10|
The Master of Instructions
| Episode 11|
A Camping We Will Go
| Episode 12|
| Episode 13|
| Episode 14|
Meet Potion Nova!
Pony Surfin' Safari
|Equestria Girls||Rainbow Rocks||Friendship Games||Legend of Everfree|
|My Little Pony The Movie|
|Dance Magic||Movie Magic||Mirror Magic||Forgotten Friendship|
|Rollercoaster of Friendship||Best Gift Ever||Spring Breakdown||Rainbow Roadtrip|
|Sunset's Backstage Pass||Holidays Unwrapped|
|Rainbow Rocks shorts||Friendship Games shorts||Summertime Shorts||Equestria Girls: Better Together (season 1)|
|Equestria Girls: Better Together (season 2)||Equestria Girls: Choose Your Own Ending (season 1)||Equestria Girls: Choose Your Own Ending (season 2)||Equestria Girls Minis|
|Baby Flurry Heart's Heartfelt Scrapbook||Rarity's Peek Behind the Boutique||Fundamentals of Magic||My Little Pony Established 1983|
|Friendship is Magic shorts||Hello Pinkie Pie||Stop Motion Shorts|